Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Markings on an Enfield P14

Guest Havoc

I'm sure some knowledgable person can fill gaps in my own understanding of my Eddystone P14.

The first question relates to the asterix or star marking and a number "2" above the ERA.

The second is the meaning of the letter under the broad arrow, Crown, GR and crossed pennants, which is either a poorly stamped "R" or a "P"

The third is where would I expect to find a marking on the butt plate? There appear to be none. On the stock?

Finally, there is what looks like a number 5 overlapping at 90 degrees with another number 5 on the bolt handle. What might htis be?

Other markings in various places are the Eddystone E, WD (on front volley sight). Same serial number on breech, bolt handle and sight which is nice - I'm assuming the number does not appear elsewhere?

Knowledge-filling appreciated.

Hi Havoc - welcome

The star indicates it is a MkI* (with enlarged lugs on the bolt and recesses in the barrel)

The number 2 indicates the body is fitted with the second variation barrel (see above, recesses)

The markings you describe next are UK proof/acceptance(numbers/Pennants) / inspection marks (arrow).

You would not, to my knowledge expect to find, any markings at all on the butt plate, on the wood of the butt (right side) would originally have been stamped Broad arrow over IE(in a circle) with a small * just to the left over Patt '14

You might also find (underneath on the pistol grip of the stock)) a six pointed star and a letter this would indicate the rifle went the the Weedon Repair Standard (the letter indicates which depot)

The serial also appears on the right of the barrel knox form, and yes it is nice they all match.

I am not sure about the number 5s on the bolt, they may be some assembly process matching number the meaning of which is unknown to me.

Chris