Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gewehr 98

Khaki

Amberg 1915, 4th Hanoverian Regiment, involved in battles La Bassee 1915, Loos 1915, Arras 1915, Somme 1916, 3rd Ypres1917, Somme 1918. A busy regiment.

post-29707-0-39740800-1455817307_thumb.j

Again nice

TT

Thanks TT,

It would be neat if I could some sort of 'pedigree' with rifles as one can with some handguns and swords, but most rifles remain anonymous military surplus, sometimes unit markings give a hint as to where it might have been, but still they look nice and carry a 100 years old nostalgia.

khaki

For those forward observers, yes I do have the cleaning rod

attachicon.gif0218160935.jpg

And of course a pointed thing to go on the end? :thumbsup: BTW, I think the markings on the receiver go in the same sequence wih the same meaning as on the butt, from big on the right, to middle, to small on the left. I can double-check if needed.

Julian

And of course a pointed thing to go on the end? :thumbsup: BTW, I think the markings on the receiver go in the same sequence wih the same meaning as on the butt, from big on the right, to middle, to small on the left. I can double-check if needed.

Julian

Thanks again Julian,

I think I can scrape up something to fit the end, I appreciate the research that you do, so any offerings are very welcome.

khaki

;,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;,

.. any offerings are very welcome. ...

Happy to help! Looking at the official 'Stempel...' documents for German weaponry is something on the edge of my research - and lordy-lordy, there are a heck of a lot of these on rifles and carbines! And they do change somewhat from version to version. E.g., there are officially three stamps on the butt stocks (is that the right term?) of the Gew.88 and 98, but apparently only two were needed on those for the Gew.88/05.

Julian