Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gewehr 88

Khaki

The following photographs of an early G88 in its original form, although technically speaking is a G88s because of a modified barrel. It however does not have charger guide, thumb clearance in the left wall or the spitzer alteration in the receiver. It remains ready for the Mannlicher style cartridge clip. The rifle is manufactured by Erfurt in 1890 and at some time had a presentation plate of the right side of the butt, a number of silver pins still remain. None of the barrel bands have any regimental markings. Probably a presentation rifle pre war that was 'gifted' back to the military for the war effort (maybe). anyway enjoy the pictures.

khaki

post-29707-0-55553400-1455646329_thumb.j

.post-29707-0-99655200-1455646394_thumb.j

A handful of vintage cartridges, the ones in stripper clips are dated DWM 1913 and the clips are marked DWM, the spitzer cartridges are undated but are in a mannlicher clip.

They came in a pile of GW cartridges French, British, US, Italian, I must do something with them.

khaki

post-29707-0-82239200-1455654053_thumb.j

Khaki,

Nice rifle !

Can you lead us through the two stamps on the buttstock, very close to the disc imprint ?

Regards,

JMB

Hi Khaki,

The rounds are unbelievably clean!!!

Unfortunately these rifles require a Section 1 Firearms Certificate here, being 7.92, as do the French pre WW1 rifles in 8x50. This means that a lot of these historic arms get deactivated in order that people without a Firearms Certificate can posses them, which is a real pity. I am looking for a Berthier 1907-15 at present and cry when I see nice ones that have been deactivated for sale!

We are all awaiting here the outcome of the EU legislative proposals (following the tragedy in Paris), which could affect all collectors here - of all classes of firearms including deacts. The deadlines are slipping back, hopefully as common sense begins to be discovered.

Cheers,

Tony

Really very nice....Unusual to see a Gew 88 that hasn't been upgraded, let alone one without Turkish markings. They're a good looking rifle, no doubt about it.

Robert

Khaki,

Nice rifle !

Can you lead us through the two stamps on the buttstock, very close to the disc imprint ?

Regards,

JMB

Hi there!

You caught me a little off balance with this question, as a commission rifle I was not quite sure how to answer your question, and I really don't have a large amount of material on G88 despite liking them. Until someone can give you a better answer, my response would be that the waffenampts or cartouches are military acceptance marks by inspectors at the various arsenals indicating that the part meets the standard required and is accepted.

khaki

I am glad that everyone is enjoying the photographs and thanks for the kind comments, as they say in advertising 'WATCH THIS SPACE'

regards to all

khaki :thumbsup:

A nice matched pair of period German ammunition pouches, both ID'd to the 120th regiment. (Emperor Wilhelm King of Prussia,2nd Wurttemberg Regiment)

post-29707-0-94800200-1455721805_thumb.j

post-29707-0-71484700-1455721860_thumb.j

The Gew.88 butt markings had the following format:

The one to the extreme right is the 'Grosser Abnahmenstempel und F.W.mit krone' - the state mark, and so the crowned royal cipher which (in the regulations!) is given as 'FW', as here! This was applied after 'Anschuss', which I think means parts put together and ready for firing, because the next one, in the middle, is the 'Grosser Abnahmenstempel', a crowned letter for the inspector, applied to indicate 'Gewehr durchgeschossen', and so 'fired' successfully. The last very small one is the 'Mittlerer Abnahmenstemple', applied when 'Gewehr nach dem Anschuss gereinigt'- so it has been cleaned after being put together...

Trajan

EDIT: these are the corrected regulations as issued in a Vorschrift for 1917

Happy to help - I will re-check them if necessary but that is what I have and how I understand them. The same format was used on the Gew.98, and the receiver markings follow, I think the same sequence, but I need to check on that.

Julian

Great German items Khaki. Very envious !

Roger

Hi Khaki,

Yes, unit or owners' marks on items add so much extra interest. Superb pair of pouches.

I have a couple of new toys acquired last Sunday for which I am looking for input. Will post when I have taken the pics! One will especially appeal to Trajan!!!

Cheers,

Tony