Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Stafford family of ATHY IRELAND

TAMMY

I am looking for pictures of three Stafford men who fought in WW1. They were all from the Athy area. The father was in the Leicester tigers regiment 139181. His name was Thomas Stafford. His two son's also fought in WW1 one was named Thomas and the other Edward.

Name Thomas Stafford Gender Male Birth Date abt 1870 Enlistment Age 45 Marriage Date 1885 Marriage Place Avoca Co Wicklow Document Year 1915 Residence Place Aughyey St, Athy Co Kildare Regimental Number 139181 Regiment Name Leicestershire Regiment Name Edward Stafford Gender Male Death Date 24 Sep 1914 Rank Private Regiment Dublin Frs Regimental Number 8804
Name Thomas Stafford Age 24 Birth Date abt 1892 Death Date 6 Sep 1916 Cemetery The Thiepval Memorial Burial Country France Father Thomas Stafford Mother Julia Stafford Regiment Royal Dublin Fusiliers Regimental Number 15201 Region or Memorial France

yes i have and have not heard anything back. I also just found out there was another brother named francis stafford who fought as well. he joined the rdf as well.

francis was in the

Leicester 4th regiment #3198

anything would be helpful thank you I did find something on photos for edward and thomas being held in a library in ireland but i don't have access to any of the files as i am way overseas it's tough research lol

Thomas Stafford (RDF). He enlisted most likely on the 2nd October 1914. Employed in the Forwarding Department, Guinness factory.

His medal roll input:

24495243f260c4_l.jpg

8327 Francis Stafford, RDF. He suffered Gas poisoning (from Mouse Trap Farm most likely) 1915. Second time got wounded end of summer 1917:

Irish Times list from 17.09.1917 (shows him living in Dublin(?))

244952456c3e57_o.jpg

Hi

(Looks to read that. they may have a commemorative memorial inscription on their parents headstone in Old St. Michael’s Cemetery, Athy)

Following Info is from this website HERE (Scroll down)

Stafford, Edward. Service No. 8804. Private, Royal Dublin Fusiliers, 2nd Battalion. Died of wounds, France, 24 September 1914. Age 27. Born Athy, Co. Kildare, 27 March 1886. Son of Thomas and Julia Stafford, Offaly Street, Athy. Husband of Margaret Stafford, Church Town Road, Athy. Grave or Memorial Reference: A. II, Crouy-Vauxrot French National Cemetery, Crouy, Aisne, France. Supplementary information: Enlisted Carlow; residence Athy. Edward was a reservist recalled to the ranks in August 1914. Edward and Thomas Stafford were brothers. They are commemorated together in Old St. Michael’s Cemetery, Athy.

Stafford, Thomas. Service No. 15201. Lance-Corporal, Royal Dublin Fusiliers, 9th Battalion. Killed in action, France, 6 September 1916. Age 24. Born Athy, Co. Kildare, 14 August 1891. Son of Thomas and Julia Stafford, Offaly Street, Athy. Grave or Memorial Reference: Pier and Face 16C, Thiepval Memorial, Somme, France. Supplementary information: Enlisted Dublin; residence Athy. Thomas and Edward Stafford were brothers. They are commemorated together in Old St. Michael’s Cemetery, Athy.

regards Ray

I am looking for pictures of three Stafford men who fought in WW1. They were all from the Athy area. The father was in the Leicester tigers regiment 139181. His name was Thomas Stafford. His two son's also fought in WW1 one was named Thomas and the other Edward.

Where did this service number originate from ?

seems to belong to Thomas Stafford R.A.M.C