Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

My Grandfather

Guest royhills

Guest royhills

I am trying to trace the history of my Grandfather who was in 82 Brigade RFA (18th Division) and captured on 21 March 1918, somewhere near Vendeuil, and became a POW. Are there any reference works available that would help me learn more about what happened to him?

• 3 months later...

Roy - If you can get hold of a copy of The History of the Royal Regiment of Artillery. Western Front 1914-18 by General Sir Martin Farndale KCB (ISBN 1 870 114 00 0), there is a mention of the 82nd Brigade, RFA.

I haven't got a scanner, so this is a part of what happened on the 21st March 1918.

'The Battle of St. Quentin - 21st-23rd March 1918

A thick, heavy mist greeted the dawn of 21st March 1918, so thick indeed that some guns reported being unable to see thier aiming posts. At 04:40hrs a tremendous bombardment began, directed at forward locations, the wire and the British guns......

.....Let us look at the fortunes of the 18th Divisional Artillery, 82 & 83 Brigades RFA. 'A' Battery of 82 Brigade was in action 1,000 yards west of Fort Vendeuil, under the command of Captain W. Dennes. The mist was very, very thick in the Oise Valley that morning. It was imposible to know what was going on. By noon, the mist suddenly cleared to reveal German infantry advancing 300 yards from the muzzles. The 18-pounders smote them cruelly, inflicting such casualties that every effort to rush the guns was crushed. Quick accurate gun drill took it's toll and for nearly four hours the battery held it's ground. Then snipers working forward began to pick off the detachments.

Captain Dennes sent a runner for orders, refusing to retire when he was hit. 2nd Lieutenant R. G. M. Jones took command and fought on until 17:00hrs, when the gallant 'A' Battery was rushed and captured.

500 yards to the south, 'B' Battery of 82 Brigade engaged the enemy over open sights until 18:00hrs. It could see the death of 'A' Battery but could do nothing. At dusk, the infantry began to retire and one section stood alone facing the enemy, with it's casualties about the guns.

In the end, the last men destroyed the guns and withdrew the detachements; another gallant stand.'

The book then goes on to talk about another Battery, hope this was of some use.

Hello Roy.

There are a few references to 18th Div actions on March 21st,in Martin Middlebrooks book,The Kaisers Battle.

The book covers the first day of the March offensive,and i found it very helpfull when i first started researching my Great-grandads war.

There are others,such as Lyn Macdonalds To the Last Man,which covers the period after the 21st and also has some references to prisoners of war,and their treatment.

Good luck with your search.

You are in the best place,for help.

All the best.

Simon Furnell.

• 4 years later...
Roy - If you can get hold of a copy of The History of the Royal Regiment of Artillery. Western Front 1914-18 by General Sir Martin Farndale KCB (ISBN 1 870 114 00 0), there is a mention of the 82nd Brigade, RFA.

I haven't got a scanner, so this is a part of what happened on the 21st March 1918.

'The Battle of St. Quentin - 21st-23rd March 1918

A thick, heavy mist greeted the dawn of 21st March 1918, so thick indeed that some guns reported being unable to see thier aiming posts. At 04:40hrs a tremendous bombardment began, directed at forward locations, the wire and the British guns......

.....Let us look at the fortunes of the 18th Divisional Artillery, 82 & 83 Brigades RFA. 'A' Battery of 82 Brigade was in action 1,000 yards west of Fort Vendeuil, under the command of Captain W. Dennes. The mist was very, very thick in the Oise Valley that morning. It was imposible to know what was going on. By noon, the mist suddenly cleared to reveal German infantry advancing 300 yards from the muzzles. The 18-pounders smote them cruelly, inflicting such casualties that every effort to rush the guns was crushed. Quick accurate gun drill took it's toll and for nearly four hours the battery held it's ground. Then snipers working forward began to pick off the detachments.

Captain Dennes sent a runner for orders, refusing to retire when he was hit. 2nd Lieutenant R. G. M. Jones took command and fought on until 17:00hrs, when the gallant 'A' Battery was rushed and captured.

500 yards to the south, 'B' Battery of 82 Brigade engaged the enemy over open sights until 18:00hrs. It could see the death of 'A' Battery but could do nothing. At dusk, the infantry began to retire and one section stood alone facing the enemy, with it's casualties about the guns.

In the end, the last men destroyed the guns and withdrew the detachements; another gallant stand.'

The book then goes on to talk about another Battery, hope this was of some use.

Does the book go on about Ç battery and is there reference to Serjeant Sykes of that battery, I wonder?