Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

cap badges

dewey

I just began to collect military cap badges from WW1 and have been surprised to find how difficult it can be, what with fakes etc... I was wondering if there is a good book and or website which could assist me. Also if anyone has any advice that they have obtained through years of collecting I would be glad to hear it. Thank you, Bill

The 'Bible' Of Cap Badge collectors is A Huge two volume Set "Military Headress Badges" By Kipling & King,that you may see referred to here now & again,"Military Badge Collecting" by John Gaylor,{Both in various Editions from 1970s onward}Though not so comprehensive is also a Useful Book for the Collector{& much cheaper!}

:) The Best bit of advice I can give after 45 Years of Badge & Medal Collecting,is to handle as Many Badges as you can,studying the Variations,of those known to be "Right" & those that are of Dubious Origin,try to buy from a proven reliable source{unless its a "Steal" @ the local car Boot for 50p,or Whatever}who will offer a Guarantee if the Badges Turn out to be "Not As Described"[Remember A Dealer with whom you build up a Rapport is more likely to offer you items ,prior to offering them generally,if youve been a good customer]Trust your instincts if a Badge doesn't feel "or look Right" then chances are its not,leave it there & wait until one turns up you are happy about,& read the books,Knowledge is power,the more you know about the subject the better armed you are when out @ the Fair etc,Buying.

Enjoy it

Dont be put of by making a few mistakes,Im sure most of us have,a few pounds ill spent is one of the best ways of learning there is!~~ Good Luck & Happy Collecting. :D

Bill,

If you are only interested in WW1 cap badges you will only need to purchase Vol.1 of "Military Headress Badges" By Kipling & King. I think it currently retails at about £45 in the UK but can be found 2nd hand.

Most dealers, when describing a badge will include a reference to Kipling and King's cataloguing system, so you can look up the badge in the book (e.g. K&K 1702)

Ken

I am always amazed at how knowledgeable the members of this forum are. Thank you for your advice, I will look into getting a copy of the book mentioned. Thanks again Ken and Harry! Bill

Bill

Visit www.speedbid.com and click on the link at the bottom for Fairs (if you're in the UK.) Get along to a fair and talk to the dealers, and handle their badges.

Beware of people offering all sorts of stuff for £3 or whatever, no matter what it is, the rarer the badge, the more expensive.

Harry's and Ken's advice is some of the best ; there are currently a couple of badge threads elsewhere to read, too.

good luck, and don't get too upset if you buy a ringer or two, that's how we learn to spot the good stuff.

Graeme

If you need just volume one, volume two or indeed both of Head Dress Badges of the British Army by Kipling & Kings pm me & I will help you out.

speedbid Mine are brand new still the the wrappers.

It was just a direct link~click on it to connect to Speedbid!

Mine are twenty years old & in constant :D use!

sorry Harry, I wasn't getting at you :D . I have my set which are used quite a bit & I also have 2 new one's of each volume as people ask for them quite often & they are nearly as much second hand as they are new.

I know tyou weren't John,I just wish I had bought a Couple more sets when I got mine,I thought they were dear @ £22.00 [1]& £18.00 [2] :D in the 70s,If only!!!!

All I would say is avoid ebay unless you are really sure and the seller offers it as genuine and is prepared to refund you if not. Always get a photo and preferably of the reverse as well. Their are a lot of ebay sellers who 'forget' to mention the fact they are selling copies. There is one dealer in particular who always sells a lot of badges that are cast rubbish but his description is so vague ('selling as badge and nothing else') that he is to be avoided at all costs. I would advice readig the debate about Gaunt sliders currently running.