Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Any ideas as to what this is ?

Jim Strawbridge

Currently on sale on a certain auction site. The suggestion is that it relates to a munition worker. But it is made of metal and I was under the impression that all items worn or carried had to be non-metal to lessen the possibility of a spark causing an explosion.

post-364-0-26606000-1455190108_thumb.jpg

Hi Jim

I take it that the C.I.W. refers to the Chief Inspector,Woolwich Arsenal? Looked the item up on said site and it is allegedly silver plated, my guess is that it was made possibly after 1918, as a momento but not for work.

John

I wonder if it is a "checking in" item. It could be that when signing in for work you left this tally at the front office so that they knew that you were on site. Most useful if there should be an explosion. Then collected it when you left. Incidently, found this :-

that at least seem to confirm the munition connection.

More likely to be worn, perhaps on a belt, judging by the shape of the openings, rather than a 'tally'. It's too crudely stamped to me a post-war memento surely?

The census return reveal's that her forename was Elizabeth

52 Haig Road 1911

Albert Edward Chapman Head Married Male Tramway Inspector 38 1873 Sawston Cambs
Elizabeth Chapman Wife Married Female - 40 1871 Clifton Hampden Oxon
Albert Willoughby Chapman Son - Male Office Boy 14 1897 Plaistow Essex
Edgar Reginald Chapman Son - Male At School 12 1899 Plaistow Essex
Doris Minnie Chapman Daughter - Female - 8 1903 Plaistow Essex

Edgar Walker Boarder Single Male Warehouseman 22 1889 Poplar Middlesex

I think it is an identity disc in case of an explosion

She may have been employed close by in The munitions factory, The Brunner, Mond & Co factory

See The Silvertown explosion

Regards Ray

If the base metal is brass, in my understanding, because its a soft metal there would be no risk of it causing explosions (same reason bomb disposal used brass tools); similar would apply to silver, but such a basic item is unlikely to have been silver plated from the outset. Regardless of whether it was actually taken into areas where there was a risk of explosion - a check in tally wouldn't have been anyway - possibly the owner had her original war time brass tally silver plated, post war, as a memento?

NigelS

But surely if it is silver plated then it's conductivity is better than copper,not what you want in a munitions factory or dealing with explosives.

In the book Reinventing warfare 1914-1918 Munitions and Trench warfare by Anthony Saunders,he gives the abbreviation C.I.W as the Chief Inspector,Woolwich Yet another abbreviation that needs some more research.

John

Edited by Knotty

Hi Jim

I take it that the C.I.W. refers to the Chief Inspector,Woolwich Arsenal? Looked the item up on said site ( and it is allegedly silver plated,) my guess is that it was made possibly after 1918, as a momento but not for work.

John

We have no proof that the disc is silver plated , only the sellers description

Assuming it is Woolwich, I would venture to suggest that 8840 was her works number. According to the link below the numbers were also tencilled on their overalls. The other numbers may indicate the shops she worked in. In any event this account of work at Woolwich might be of interest:

https://memory.loc.gov/service/gdc/scd0001/2010/20101207002mu/20101207002mu.pdf

TR

I think Nigel is on the right track regarding the disc's metallic composition
It could be a nickel copper alloy, or a iron, copper nickel alloy or any one of the stainless steels with a high copper content which would make the disc spark resistant
which would allow it to be used as an identity disc

defiantly not produced as a memento but kept as one after the war

regards Ray

If you look at the pictures of the item - zoom in on description - you can see it's hallmarked silver.

I have a copy of the 'Rules for employees' from Chilwell dated February 1917 and in the list of banned items is anything made from iron or steel also chewing gum. I scanned it into a pdf so just pm me for a copy.

• 3 years later...