Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Murder of the CO of the Hyderabad Lancers

ddycher

9 minutes ago, Maureene said:

Thanks for the information Risaldar.

I hope you will advise the Forum when the book Indian State Forces in the Great War is published. Are you the author? 

Cheers

Maureen

I most certainly will Maureen. The author is Mr A.N. McClenaghan. I think there is no one more familiar with the Indian State Forces than him.

Thanks Risaldar: looking forward to it.

As mentioned earlier, I have McLenahan's and Head's Maharaja's Paltans, which mind-bogglingly good, so do give us the news when the next book appears.

Thank you Risaldar. Sorry i was slow getting back to you. Have seen no further refs to this since originally posting. As you say it is abundantly clear that the dark side of events were pulled from the official histories. The Imperial Service Troop refs seem to be particularly "sanitized". 

Thanks again

Dave

Dave

Greetings

I think that reported regimental history was defined by the regimental historian working to the editorial policies of the regimental historical committee.

My post 5 above used information in the history.  Conversely the information in my post 11 was perhaps gleefully passed around the Indian Army by persons who did not wish that particular regiment to succeed.

But today political correctness is as bad or worse than it ever was.  Recently an officer in my local regiment had his Afghanistan MC removed from him - but Regimental HQ did not appear to utter one word on the subject.

RISALDAR - please keep contributing your most informative comments.   Thank you.     Harry

33 minutes ago, bushfighter said:

But today political correctness is as bad or worse than it ever was.  Recently an officer in my local regiment had his Afghanistan MC removed from him - but Regimental HQ did not appear to utter one word on the subject.

If it's the case I think it is, surely he had 'bigged-up' his actions and the decoration was undeserved. How does political correctness come into it?

Thanks Harry

Makes sense. Never really thought about it from the regimental historical committee perspective. To be honest i had never considered tge mechanism that brought about the individual histories. I guess by their very nature they are not neutral.

Over the years it has always been the omissions that trigger the most interest in my research. Typically I've found that to get a rounded view on any particuler event best practice has been to compile from a number of histories rather than take one as an absolute. Could not do that when looking at the IST as I found ref's few and far between. 

Regards

Dave

'Bigging up' up can also be done by seniors to reflect credit on themselves or their unit. Not least of examples is that in the case of the unwitnessed attack made by the famous lone pilot, many of whose victory claims are not supported by German records, one William Bishop VC. The recommendation which was put forward by his commanding officer. Another is Seeley, who reputedly put his servant up for a VC "because he followed me everywhere". 

Slightly back on-topic, I recently bought the N&M reprint of the History of the Guides, 1922-47 by Lt Gen Sir George McMunn. On page 104 he mentions the death of an old Guide, Major H H Barnes, CIE, shot in the face at Fort Sandeman by a member of the Jagozai tribe "who cherished a grievance. This part of the world has often been troubled by such outrages." In a footnote, McMunn says: "The writer of this book was there as far back as 1891, when outrages by fanatics for the glory of God were fairly common." (the book was written in 1949!)

Broomers

Greetings

Reference Post 30.

The recipient had claimed from the start that his actions did not warrant he award but the citation said that they did (as David's Post 32 suggests).

Surely that situation was worth a Regimental clarification?

Harry

Fair point. Not sure about the PC reference, but fair point. Makes the regiment look good!

• 5 months later...

I have seen a mention elsewhere which indicates that the book  Indian State Forces in the Great War  by  Tony McClenaghan  will be published by  Helion & Company Ltd, and is due in 2018.  

Cheers

Maureen

Thanks Maureen: and if it's published by Helion it won't be costing an arm and a leg!

• 2 years later...

Hi Dave,  Thanks so much for posting the information. I am Major Mohammed Ali Mirza's Great Grandson.. would be eager to know more about him and share the same with my father too!!

Thanks again and hope to know more...

Hussain Ali Mirza. 

Perhaps there may be an account of Major Mirza's murder in the book mentioned, above which appears to have been published under a different title

For the Honour of My House: The Contribution of the Indian Princely States to the First World War   by Tony McClenaghan 

I have made a separate post about this book

Cheers

Maureen

Hussain

Many thanks for posting. I have not looked at this for a while. Will refresh and see if I have any more.

Regards

Dave