Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

U-19 & Roger Casement 1916

temp101

Hi everyone,

I'm currently researching the journey made by U-19 which brought Roger Casement to Ireland in 1916. It departed Heligoland on the 15th of April 1916. It dropped off Roger Casement on the 21st April 1916 to Banna Strand, Tralee Bay in Ireland. The U-19 commander was Raimund Weisbach.

I understand there are several photographs taken on that particular journey in 1916. Would anyone have any information on that U-19 mission or know where I might be able to locate any relevant photographs or anyone I could contact?

Any help would be much appreciated!

U 19 sunk a ship 21/4/16 nr Fastnet. It sunk 2 more 23/4/16 west of Bishops Rock and one 25/4/16. It seems Weisbach was replaced as Captain when it next went on patrol in September.

Look for the book Prelude to the Easter Rising by Reinhard R. Doerries. Very expensive but you might find a copy in local library.

John

Slightly off topic but did Roger Casement make multiple visits to Germany? I understand he addressed Irish POWs at Limburg in an attempt to get them to fight for the Republican anti British cause (with little success I believe) so if he only made the one trip his address

would have been early '16 or before.

Hi archangel9,

Thank you for your help! I will try and locate a copy of that book.

There are two photographs of Casement on U-19 in the book, they are also on the links I posted, source is given as -

John de Courcy Ireland/The National Maritime Museum of Ireland. Might be worth contacting them -

The National Maritime Museum of Ireland,

Haigh Terrace,

Dun Laoghaire,

Co. Dublin,

Ireland

00 353 (1) 2800969

00 353 (1) 2143964

Email: administration@mariner.ie

John

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...