Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Trench Club

onwarservice

Can anyone speak to the authenticity of this trench club?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272121580654?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_sacat%3D0%26_nkw%3D272121580654%26_rdc%3D1

I have been unwell recently and bought a trench club to cheer me up! I hope it is real. It's about 16 inches long

The rules prohibit discussion of items that are offered for sale.

If you have already purchased the club and are seeking further information about it then that is fine.

The rules prohibit discussion of items that are offered for sale.

If you have already purchased the club and are seeking further information about it then that is fine.

Bidding ended 6 days back, so OK to discuss then I assume as he has already bought it.

I know nothing on these except there are lots of fakes around and the ones to avoid are often unit marked examples.

Bidding ended 6 days back, so OK to discuss then I assume as he has already bought it.

I know nothing on these except there are lots of fakes around and the ones to avoid are often unit marked examples.

I'm with the led blind on clubs too; I was hoping to see some more pictures and possibly learn something!

Thanks for the replies chaps. To clarify, I have purchased said club and should get home to see it in the flesh today.

David - I have tried tea but it doesn't give the same buzz as WW1 militaria!

I will get some pics up oncw home

I made my own, therefore I know it's originality. Not made for re sale, nor to fool any one but just for the fun of it.

1. Bought rounders bat.

2. Drilled a 5/8" down the middle.

3. Coloured with oak stain.

4. Filled with lead(tricky, not for the faint hearted).

5. Corded handle with hemp.

6. Hobnailed with 15 nails job done.

Cost £6 cheered my up.

Kevin

A general observation on the subject of trench clubs: genuinely old clubs or coshes of various types are often sold as trench clubs, the sellers frequently being sincere with no intent to mislead. Sometimes they are bona fide trench clubs, sometimes other items made into trench clubs (eg Indian clubs) and sometimes coshes or gamekeeper "priests" which nobody can definitely say have or have not seen use as trench clubs. I really can't say any more than that in view of forum rules.

The common fakes usually have a weathered look from being left out in the rain and are often unit marked and dated. There's a very nice example of the classic British type here: http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=221418&hl=%2Btrench+%2Bclub

Right, here are images of the offending article!

http://imgur.com/a/PCARx

It has a turned wooden knob at the base which has an inside thread but the base of the club shaft does not (thus the knob pushes on).

At the business end is a brass(?) ball with a round indent on the top and holes around the outside base. The ball looks to have been soldered in place.

Below the ball is a section of brass(?) again with line decoration. It has been pinned in place and the pins have been made flush.

To me, this piece seems too small/delicate to be used in a trench. The brass collar doesn't look military but the ball is unusual for civilian creation and could be a beehive fuse?

I'm leaning toward this being a cosh. What do you all think?

The seller states he got it with "good WW1 French militaria".

As Wainfleet says there are many absolutely genuine clubs about that have no connection with the Great War. There is one in the IWM consisting of a piece of heavy gauge steel cable with a cast iron handle and a crude 'morning star' head cast on the other end. Absolutely genuine but actually one of a number of ad hoc weapons made for the Home Guard in their early days. By the time you add rat catchers, anglers and game keepers it is easy to see the problem. Stick with 'regulation' items' like the German iron cube on a spring with a turned wooden handle, all you have to worry about then is 'has it age'? And remember -buy the item, not the story. - SW