Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

old contemptibles

Guest taimarley

hi, i have posted before about my great grandfather arthur white, and after speaking to my nan more, she said that as a member of the "old contemptibles" he would go every year to a meeting with fellow members and wear a tie and badge,but despite looking, i can't seem to find much on groups of "o.c's" i know why they were so called and when they served but would love to find out more, such as what the tie was like,where they met any records of them etc etc, greatful thanks to any responses

Guest pennyindorset

Hi There, I have no information for you as I too am trying to find out information on 'the contemptibles' 'our grandad' too was one but I don t know anything about what it is......what do you know that you could share with me, Penny

Click on this link and you will find a sizeable number of postings to this forum which cover this subject. Best of luck. Amongst these posts you will find images of flags/badges etc and much more.

Des

http://1914-1918.org/forum/index.php?act=S...te=contemptible

thanks have had a good look through, it such a shame there are no decent records of the old contemptibles, seems so unjust.i have heard my great grandfather was so proud to be one, it was a big part of his life, would be nice to see a fitting tribute to them!

I take it you don't have your Grt/Grandfather's Medals?

The "1914 Star" was conferred on Old Contemptibles in recognition of their

"services with the British Expeditionary Forces employed in France and Belgium between the outbreak of war and midnight,22/23rd November1914"

George

unfortunately we do not have great grandads medals, its such a shame,his son obviously didnt feel the sentimental value of them?nan remembers that he had a "mons star" and we know he had a medal for gallantry, we would love to get replica's to display but we are still trying to piece together his military history and although we believe he was a signalman and a royal warwickshire, we are still trying to work it out!

Further to Peter's reply the NA has on line copies of Medal Index Cards which will show the Medals your Grt/Grandfather received.

It would be worth scrolling through the Forum Page on this subject as it will give you ideas on how to access and cost,etc.

I am sure one of the Experts will offer you guidance if you get stuck.

I am lucky I have my Relatives' Medals.

George

Guest pennyindorset

Hi guys, thanks for the replies, I m gonna go all blonde now, what are these 'minutes' you talk about? I know nothing of the war, I have only just started researching my hubbys grandfather and now starting on mine too, its all new to me, I have copies of 'grandads' medal card, but theres no info on theatres etc, there is so much info out there but its sifting through it all, but any help you can help me with I d much appreciate, Penny (but a mere woman :rolleyes: )

Hello

Not an expert, so I apologise for any inaccuracies etc......

The Old Contemptibles formed groups across the country & held meetings much as the Dunkirk Veterans, NVA (a newer association), Burma Star Association etc did after the last war. In 2000, the chairman (or president?) of the Dunkirk Veterans said he was arranging for the association to be wound up whilst it was still a going concern , citing the experience of the Old Contemptibles who literally just faded away........

To qualify for membership of the Old Contemptibles, one would have been in receipt of the Mons Star, meaning it was made up of regular, ex-regular & pre war territorials. I understand that the last Old Contemptible died in the 1990s, but I am sure someone will be able to say exactly when & who it was.....I seem to remember watching 2 in pensioners from Chelsea Hospital with the Queen Mother visiting the garden of remembrance at Westminster Abbey one Armistice Day, I think within the last 14 years.

Cheers

Mark

P.S Any decent Gentlemen's tailor in London should be able to look up the tie if you cannot find it in any other records....

Oh, I am sorry, forgot to say that the Old Contemptibles in the Southend on Sea, Essex area met at the Naval & Military Club on Royal terrace, they did have some form of memorablia, maybe even a standard on display last time I visited, maybe someone still in the area can give more info....

Mark

A few area's O.C records do still exist inc. those of my Grandfather's branch Southampton. My grandfather's medals were buried with him but having found out his entitlement : "Mons Star", BWM, Vic. Medal , Mention in Despatches and Long Service Good Conduct, I was able to buy an identical group of medals. They were quite cheap 15 years ago. A couple of years later I found the same group to a fellow member of his regiment and this is as close as I can get.

I also have two O.C.A badges which appear fairly regularly on Ebay.

But the most precious thing I have is a memory of my Mother who told me of almost bursting with pride when he took her to Remembrance services in the 20's and 30's. She adored the old cavalryman who also happened to be her Dad - and his surviving 2 soldier-brothers. I must say, I'm pretty proud of him myself.

Guest pennyindorset

We haven t any of 'grandads' medals, not alot is known about him but the more i read on here about the different battles etc he must of been in the more remarkable i think he was, he died in 1970 aged 84.

Stick up his name and unit Penny ... you never know what some of the guys on here could come up with!

Welcome to the ranks of the addicted.

Des

Guest pennyindorset

Hi Des, his name was John Dicken and between 1914-20 he served as a private in the north stafford regiment and was a serjeant in the army service corps, I would appreciate a nudge in the right direction, would love to know where he went during this time, I have looked through some war diaries but come up with nothing, I would of thought being a serjeant in the corps his name would be mentioned somewhere, but there are so many different battalions and regiments I don t quite know which one his was in as it doesn t say on his medal card.

Penny - his service number may well tell us a great deal or serve as a stepping stone towards more information. Do you have that?

Plus - it is always worth checking through the 'mother site' - The Long Long Trail. Full lists of regiments and their chronological attachments to divisions etc can be found there.

If you've already done so, forgive me. If not ... you'll find it a great resource.

Des

Guest pennyindorset

Hi Des, can I just say that me being on here trying to find out info on 'Grandad' is like you being on a knitting website trying to find out what type of knitting needle you should use when knitting a scarf......... so please bare with me ;) I have his regiment numbers if thats what you mean by 'service No.' which are: north staff:(private)7608 and Army service corps (Serjeant) S4/084622....is that any help?

penny you are so lucky to have medal cards etc, i have nothing about great grandad, other than his name, where he lived and the fact he was a signalman,and a royal warwickshire(but i don't know what regiment etcI have previously posted a photo and information about what i believe happenend in the war but it seems so hard to get a clear picture!) i have contacted the R.W. and they are looking to see if they can find anything out for me, its so frustrating isn't it. you feel that these obviously great men should be better remembered!one nice thing though, my son was bursting with pride when he took a photo of my GG into school and talked about him(my son is only 6), it really meant a lot to him, and i guess if nothing else, its nice to know a small portion of the new generation know a little about the war because of my GG!

Guest pennyindorset

Hi Tia....sorry I seem to of taking over your post, if you have your GG names and possible regiment (warwick) have you looked on the National Archives for a possible match? Also have you heard of a site called Genes reunited? If your family don t know much about him you may be able to find relatives on that site, might be worth a try. Penny

cheers penny, have looked on genes reuinted and exhausted all the family that i have contact with, but thanks for your advice, its so hard because i have virtually no military knowledge so i'm walking in the dark,its like having a jigsaw of mainly invisible pieces!

Guest pennyindorset

Hi Tia, like yourself I have no knowledge of the army, so I m spending hours going thru anything that may relate to 'Grandads' time at war, did you find any matches in the national archive(online) for your grandads name?

For info. with 2 days to run - the picture may be of interest.

Ebay 2288645019

WIRE BLAZER BADGE: Old Contemptibles Association.

Stuart