Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Fencing Musket

4thGordons

Just added another oddity to the stable:

This is a bayonet drill rifle (aka Fencing Musket)

Apologies for the poor pics I have literally just unwrapped it.

This is a 1917 Enfield MkIII* converted to a bayonet drill ("fencing") musket by installing a spring "Bayonet" plunger.

There are no conversion markings I have found. Several patterns of this rifle were approved but I am not sure which (if any) applies here - it may indeed (given the date of the donor rifle) be an inter war or WWII vintage conversion. The rifle is WWI however - and actually has several "early" rifle characteristics - "humped" front handguard (see band), dimple where volley sight would be fitted in forend, Sling swivel rather than loop on trigger-guard etc.

I now have a number of examples of drill rifles/bayonet muskets. The foresight protector on this rifle is very battered (indicating use?) so it is not possible to make out the serial number at all and it is very rounded off!

Anyway: pics -- I'll take some better ones later:

post-14525-0-07469300-1454713133_thumb.j

post-14525-0-66990700-1454713134_thumb.j

post-14525-0-12543400-1454713134_thumb.j post-14525-0-60455000-1454713133_thumb.j

Chris

That is certainly an interesting piece - even for a non-rifle man! You say you have others - actual examples? Of the same type?

Julian

That is certainly an interesting piece - even for a non-rifle man! You say you have others - actual examples? Of the same type?

Julian

I have other drill Enfields of various types. One is a solid lump of wood and metal of the same proportions as an SMLE with rough cast metal fittings and I have several different DP rifles from UK/Australia and India. This is the first example I have with a plunger.

According to Skennerton SMLE's were not converted to fencing muskets, however never say never,

Indeed that was my understanding also - until I found this. It is conceivable it is not a British conversion or perhaps even not an official conversion at all but the plunger/spring set up is very similar to others I have inspected so I am not sure what it is really.

Chris

Well that's a nice piece of kit, never seen one like that before either. Very reminiscent of Martini Henry conversions....No markings noting its conversion

?

Well that's a nice piece of kit, never seen one like that before either. Very reminiscent of Martini Henry conversions....No markings noting its conversion

?

No none. Only standard rifle markings on barrel etc -- barrel/receiver match, nosecap too battered to tell (totally rounded off as if by lots of strikes from a similar plunger. Bolt mismatched, but complete and with British markings, Magazine numbered numerous times as per Indian service. So I am of the mind that this might be an Indian conversion -- it has required quite a bit of work internally to modify this.

The only other rifles I have seen with the aluminium tag on the trigger guard came out of India but that was only a couple of examples and Indian used rifles usually have significant proof/conversion markings on them -- no sign here.

Filed under "Hmmmmmm" for now.

Chris

They're an interesting field...odd that it doesn't have any armourers marks noting it as no longer a Grade 1 arm....like a worn out bore....or rust marks, etc.....I have two DP SMLEs, one I think Great War era with cast fittings such as nose cap, magazine/trigger guard and a second WW2 with cast aluminium fittings and a magazine reminiscent of a No4....The former has minor damage as if used for training in parrying in bayonet drills and the latter seems more set up to train handling and sighting.

Again, a great piece....Thoroughly envious...

Robert