Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SMLE tools

Khaki

Was there a special tool for removing the rear top hand guard on smle's, I can't believe that they were simply pried off by armorers/inspectors in a factory or military with a screwdriver, surely there must have been a special tool. Any images of smle tools appreciated.

thanks

khaki

SMLE Action Wrench clamps around the action at the breech and over the King / Bedding Screw area and then in a vice to stop the action twisting on removing the barrel.post-227-0-95456100-1454745354_thumb.jpgpost-227-0-68662000-1454745361_thumb.jpg

There are a couple of pages illustrating a variety of tools in Skennerton.

Chris

This is probably the best tool in the collection an Enfield Rest,

Superb!

Chris

Rifle Sht LE Combination Tool, Has Firing Pin Protrusion, Go and No Go, Extractor Spring tool, Tool to undo the Bayonet Plunger Nut, Rearsight Nut (the one you press in to move the rearsight up and down) 3 different size screwdrivers.

post-227-0-65578800-1454785791_thumb.jpg

Action Straightness Gauge. The lower part fits into the bolt-way, the top piece lays from the top of the Barrel Knox-form back to the Flat on top of the straightness gauge, showing that the barrel is breeched up square to the action.

post-227-0-63975500-1454786991_thumb.jpg

Very nice!

Thanks for Posting.

Are these now rare items to find?

Would really like to kit myself out with the original tooling for my Enfield SMLE.

post-49107-0-63609700-1454788375_thumb.j

Most of the Gauges turned up when all the Australian SMLE's were sold on in the 80's Most of mine are of Australian origin, collected over the last 30 years, so if you average it out I find about 1 new example a year. More to follow.

Rifle Stock Collar filing Jig this was used to gauge the correct length of the front trigger guard screw collar, If the collar is to short you crush the wood and to long the wood is a loose fit, To those that do not know the SMLE was pretty much hand assembled and if one part is not right it had an adverse effect on another. You can not just slap one together and expect it to shoot.

post-227-0-50889300-1454836328_thumb.jpg

post-227-0-66077800-1454836334_thumb.jpg