Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Interesting smle

Khaki

Is the rear sight protector on backwards? Or is it a later Indian one without an offset? (or perhaps it's just my eyes after a day out in the freezing wind chasing eagles!)

I like the peddled scheme rifles - always seem to be interesting. Is it SSA or NRF marked?

Chris

Peddled scheme? Please explain.

Cheers Martin B

Peddled scheme? Please explain.

Cheers Martin B

Yeah - I don't see no pedals on it...! :D

Thanks Chris,

Yes the sight protectors are reversed, that's how I got it, and it has been sitting in the LE rack ever since and its one of those small projects that I haven't got around to doing yet. I will have a look at the markings again later today.

khaki

Hello Martin & MIkB,

The peddle system was in very simple terms a way of farming out the manufacture of smle parts to businesses and they were assembled separately later, I don't believe that it was very successful based on the small numbers of peddled rifles produced and consequently are somewhat harder to find.

regards

khaki

Hello again Chris,

I had to have another look now, you made me curious, the rifle is marked SSA. I must have a rummage around in my box of spares for a sight protector to replace the one that's on it.

khaki

Hello Martin & MIkB,The peddle system was in very simple terms a way of farming out the manufacture of smle parts to businesses and they were assembled separately later, I don't believe that it was very successful based on the small numbers of peddled rifles produced and consequently are somewhat harder to find.regardskhaki

Thanks. How do you identify them as such?

Cheers Martin B

Thanks. How do you identify them as such?

Cheers Martin B

The force behind what has become known as the peddled scheme was actually an attempt to break the virtual state monopoly on rifle production by setting up a private company to produce SMLEs - it was originally know as Standard Small Arms (SSA) up until early 1918 when it was basically nationalised (its a bit more complicated than this) and became known as the National Rifle Factory (NRF) - there is great confusion about how many (if any!) rifles were actually produced by these entities (they had all sorts of problems) but they certainly produced a number of receivers. These receivers (as shown on Khaki's rifle) are stamped either SSA or NRF on the left side of the bolt channel - so if you are looking down on the rifle from above it is on the left side just to the right of the top of the safety! - I'll post a picture when I get home!

However, the easiest way to identify such a rifle is by looking at the cypher on wrist of the rifle - you can see on Khaki's example that the crown is far more angular and stylized and there is no maker displayed below the crown (where it would otherwise say Enfield, BSA Co, LSA Co, Lithgow, Ishapore ) Having just the date and model of the rifle. The font used is also much more "modern" and simple in appearance.

Again when I get home I will post a comparative pic for you

Chris

Edit

here is a standard (in this case BSA) cypher for comparison

post-14525-0-44994200-1454701552_thumb.j

and the SSA mark on a peddled scheme rifle

post-14525-0-84646300-1454701529_thumb.j