Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2/15th County of London Regt - The Civil Service Rifles

battle of loos

good evening,

I research one picture about the :

2/15th County of London Regt - 6th Platoon.

with the name about each men.

thank's in advance for your answer.

regards

michel

• 2 months later...

Michel,

I am researching the Civil Service Rifles and would be very interested in knowing more about your picture. A colleague and I have several CSR communities on the Imperial War Museum's Lives of the Great War web site. My 2/15 Community is here - https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/community/2771

Best wishes,

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

I understand that my great-uncle, Cedric Young, joined up under-age with the Civil Service Rifles in 1914. He was my grandfather's youngest brother and unfortunately I only have the barest details of his life.

Norman Young

Cedric Young 2/15 County of London Regiment, Service Numbers 2311 and 530360. Born December 1897 at Liscard, Birkenhead, son of James Robson Young and Annie Maria nee Sleap.

Was living with the family in Goodmayes, Ilford, Essex when he joined up under-age (?) in 1914. He died at Westminster in December 1980.

I'll have look for you later.

Only managed to find his MiC which confirms his numbers. He would have been renumbered in early 1917 under the renumbering of TF men. FMP is down at the moment so will have to try again.

Only managed to find his MiC which confirms his numbers. He would have been renumbered in early 1917 under the renumbering of TF men. FMP is down at the moment so will have to try again.

Many thanks

NY

Tried FMP but no joy. It is possible the site still has problems. I got some results earlier but could not open them. Now I am getting no results. I'll try tomorrow.

FMP back on again

That is certainly my great-uncle. The DoB of 1896 is not correct but is probably what he gave when joining up under age. His actual DoB was 5 December 1897.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Norman!

I think we have both worked on Cedric's page on Lives? I will put up the photo I have of his company - you may be able to spot him!

Best wishes,

Mike

Many thanks Mike. I never actually met my great-uncle Cedric Young but I met his daughter Mavis, usually at family funerals. I believe he became an accountant and lived in Marylebone and later Westminster. He was much the baby of the family and 17 years younger than his brother Harold James Young, my grandfather.

I would greatly appreciate any photos or background information you can provide on this rather elusive member of my family tree.

Regards

Norman Young

• 2 years later...

Old Phil has added the above to at least half-a-dozen ten other threads relating to the Civil Service Rifles, which means that any responses from us could be very scattered. Mods may wish to decide whether to delete all but one of his posts - or all, and advise him to start a completely new thread

Moonraker

Edited by Moonraker

• 1 year later...

No.537084 Pte. William Henry Tucker of the 15th London Regt., PWO Civil Service Rifles.
Arrived in theatre 15th April, 1918 and repatriated 1st September, 1918.
Born 1899 and lived in Wood Green, London.

The large group image has him stood to the far left and has been marked. Not sure where this was taken, any ideas?

Dick

William Henry Tucker 537084 15th Londons.jpg

William Henry Tucker 537084 15th Londons1.jpg

William Henry Tucker 537084 15th Londons2.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Bit late to this thread, but Pte Cedric Young 2311 was in 2 Platoon of A Company. I have booklet containing photographs of all the battalion Companies as well as Officer/HQ Staff/SNCO/Tnsp/Bombing/MG/Signalling group photos that also helpfully provides names of all the battalion members by Section/Company. If anyone would like any further info then please ask. 

Edited by mrfrank