Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Carbine

Khaki

All matching numbers including wood, butt device stamped to S.M.6.11.1 K98az, usually issued to Artillery, Stosstruppen etc, this one survived the war and was selected for post war use, I think that the unit markings may be Police.

khaki

post-29707-0-03082900-1454435552_thumb.j

That looks really nice! I guess it must have frakturs all over the place! And as a 1920 approved one, then you need a nice S.84/98 for it. I was intrigued to see the muzzle-cover - is it (or anything else!) unit-marked?

Thanks Julian,

I will check out the muzzle cover, I know that it has a serial number inside the cap. I do have a nice 84/98 to go with it.

lhaki

All matching numbers including wood, butt device stamped to S.M.6.11.1 K98az, usually issued to Artillery, Stosstruppen etc, this one survived the war and was selected for post war use, I think that the unit markings may be Police.

khaki

attachicon.gif0202161030.jpg attachicon.gif0202161032.jpg

Very nice rifle. The marking could be for the Schutzpolizei Muenster district. http://oldmilitarymarkings.com/police_unit_marks.html

Thanks,

I had a feeling that it was some sort of police unit code, strangely enough I have a GW German trench knife with similar markings stamped on the grip, I appreciate the help.

khaki

That looks really nice! I guess it must have frakturs all over the place! And as a 1920 approved one, then you need a nice S.84/98 for it. I was intrigued to see the muzzle-cover - is it (or anything else!) unit-marked?

I checked the muzzle cover, inside the hinged lid there is a serial number and on the pointed area, which I guess is the 'thumb rest' for twisting & unlocking there is what appears to be a deep crown stamp, it is overall painted a field gray, so there maybe other marks underneath the paint.

khaki

Khaki,

I must admit to being quite intrigued by the wooden chest upon which your two rifles are supported, as I have not seen anything quite like it.

Leather carry-strap, so portable; adjustable board at LHS to raise/lower the butt; adjustable "arms" to hold forestock at RHS; two drawers for tools ?

Was that made to your own design ? It looks pretty solid and well-made !

Regards,

JMB

Hello JMB,

Thanks, it is a neat piece of equipment, I use it mostly as a prop for photography, I keep a few simple tools in the drawers, I found it for sale in a used book shop, I think I paid under $10 for it. It is extremely well made and it also has a threaded rod which engages the two moving locking arms at the RHS of the stand. You can just see the threaded holes at the bottom of the arms. I think it was home made, but by someone who was very skilled. It is the only one I have seen.

regards

khaki

Hello JMB,

Thanks, it is a neat piece of equipment, I use it mostly as a prop for photography, I keep a few simple tools in the drawers, I found it for sale in a used book shop, I think I paid under $10 for it. It is extremely well made and it also has a threaded rod which engages the two moving locking arms at the RHS of the stand. You can just see the threaded holes at the bottom of the arms. I think it was home made, but by someone who was very skilled. It is the only one I have seen.

regards

khaki

Sportsman's Guide used to sell something very similar - although I do not see it listed currently

Very nice Karbines, thanks for showing.

TT