Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Same man - different war memorials

John_Hartley

I think I've found a man (Pte C Dyson, 1/6th Manchesters) who appears on two local war memorials. The memorials are in neighbouring parishes and I wondered if anyone knows if this is a regular occurance (possibly due to different family members wanting to commemorate the soldier).

John

I have found similar occurances in Coventry. In these particular cases the men were born in one parish, but were living in the adjacent one when they enlisted. This may have been because of the relatives wishes, but often I think, the churches themselves, or those organising parish memorials drew up lists of parishoners (or former parishoners) killed, and this simply happened by accident.

Terry Reeves

John,

From my own research it is not uncommon to come across the same individual who is mentioned on one or more war memorials.

I have found one man who is mentioned on no less than four local neighbourhood parish memorials - it turns out that he was the local bobby and patrolled each these parishes.

You have no doubt found that you have to look in lots of different places to get little snippets of information here and there to substantiate this infomation.

Regards

Marc

It can be quite a game, chasing a man round the local war memorials. I have one man who is on ten war memorials in adjacent towns. Born and went to school in one, and lived and worked in another.

However well he is commemorated locally, (and written up in local newspapers of the time) he is not on CWGC, not in SDGW, and is not recorded in the war deaths register in the Family Record Centre in London! Still don't know where he's buried/commemorated <_<

I have come across a number of soldiers' names that have been repeated on memorials not only in adjoining parishes but also between Wales and the south east of England in addition to other parts of the country. The best one yet ,however, is the name that appears twice on the same memorial one immediately after the other. The first time the soldier's christian name appears and the second time his initials are given and with the name Octavius there is no way that they were two different soldiers.

Myrtle

My Uncle,1928 Rifleman John East 1st Battalion Monmouthshire Regiment captured on 8 May 1915 is remembered on the memorial at Ashburton, Devon ,the town of his birth and also on the memorial at Blackwood ,Momouthshire ,the town where the family had moved to prior to to outbreak of war and the town where along with his two brothers he was a member of the local Territorial Force.

He was obviously remembered as a teenager at Ashburton and as a fallen Territorial

in Blackwood home of the 1st Battalion. I am sure that there are many examples of multi rememberance of the fallen reflecting the movement of families prior to and during the war.

Frank East

In my research into men named on memorials in Calderdale, West Yorkshire I have so far come across around 150 men who are named on more than one memorial, and I'm not even halfway through yet !

From this I think it can safely be said that it must have been quite a common occurence.

It seems to be mainly men named on memorials in adjoining parishes. Men are also named on the main parish memorial and on their local church memorial although I've yet to look into this.