Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Nursing Sister J.F. Reynolds Group

mk1rceme

I have a small group from Nursing Sister J.F. Reynolds including a WWI medal pair, Womens Auxiliary pin, and belt buckle. I acquired them from a local family here in Alberta, Canada. I have tried to find lists or records of nursing sisters for commonwealth countries, but have come up short. Does any list or records exist out there? I'm not certain she is Canadian, but information from the family suggests she was married to Leslie Mills C.A.M.C.. His medals were with Reynolds when I got them...along with another Mills brothers medal set. Quite the haul.

post-121803-0-11322400-1454361629_thumb.

post-121803-0-60184600-1454361700_thumb.

Hi,

Chances are that it is Jessie Fraser Reynolds.

Here are her attestations papers from LAC

http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/military-heritage/first-world-war/first-world-war-1914-1918-cef/Pages/item.aspx?IdNumber=600704

Mars

Edited by Mars

Jessie Fraser Reynolds* (32), Nurse, married Leslie Steadman Mills** (33), Farmer, on 27 February 1924.

* Born in Algoma Mills on 6 Mar 1891. Daughter of Stanley Wilberforce Reynolds and Jessie Campbell nee Fraser.

** Born in Renfrew, Ontario, on 19 Oct 1890. Name registered as Lewis Steadman Mills. Son of William Mills and Margaret nee McTavish.

JP

Thank you for the responses and wonderful information. Just so happens that I also have Leslie Mills medals along with his brothers medals.post-121803-0-17280800-1454437469_thumb.

post-121803-0-91221800-1454437499_thumb.

post-121803-0-76658200-1454437539_thumb.

post-121803-0-49457300-1454437567_thumb.

Leslies brother is William Ward Mills.

Update. I just got back from meeting with the person I got the medals from. William Ward and Leslie Mills were his great Uncles. He found this picture of William in France. Intense eyes on this fellow.

post-121803-0-39831800-1454556390_thumb.

Do you have any information on the Women's Auxiliary pin? Was it only for Canadians?

Pollarded trees, must be a cattle farming area.

Not necessarily. As someone who used to live on the Somerset levels the willows there were pollarded for their wood for fencing and basket-making.

Not necessarily. As someone who used to live on the Somerset levels the willows there were pollarded for their wood for fencing and basket-making.

There's coppicing and pollarding, these are very similar woodland management techniques and are used to produce osiers for fencing and basket making, or feed for animals from harvesting the green shoots.

Pollarding is done higher up on the tree (usually done at 2 metres or more) to keep stock from eating the green shoots, as the cattle can't reach them. It's a lot higher than coppicing which is done near to ground level where browsing animals aren't a problem for the new shoots. It's called pollarding because it's above head height on a man.

The trees in the photograph have tall trunks hence my assumption that they kept cattle in those fields which could reach the shoots if they were cut lower down.

Apologies for going off topic, it was just an observation on my part.

Edited to add:

I have this thing about photographs, always looking for something else in there other than the prime subject matter. It has just struck me that these might not be pollarded trees, they could simply be in an area where the trauma of battle and artillery bombardments have blasted the trees but they're still alive, this is the year after and they're regenerating in a way that pollarded or coppiced trees do.

Andy, I am a countryman and know the difference betwen coppicing and pollarding. I lived on a farm where coppicing was undertaken with hazel to make thatching spars. Who mentioned coppicing ? Visit the Somerset levels where pollarding is quite plentiful. A whole industry exists there. The cutting of the branches is to encourage multiple shoots which are cut off when still relatively small (not branch size) and suitable for basketmaking and the like. Not to keep the shoots out of the reach of grazing cattle. We can agree to differ.

• 1 year later...

Well,well, well...looks like I have a missing medal in this grouping. A rather important one too. I contacted the relative and he confirmed there could have been another medal, but he never saw it in his lifetime. He only heard through heresay, and wasn't even sure what medal it was. Turns out I have a missing military medal for the Leslie Mills trio.

16711879_10154062033222260_5138309269078523249_n.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hi

i'm excited to find this thread as my mother is the niece of the Mills brothers. Her father was Arthur McTavish Mills and he was at Queen's studying engineering during WW1.  My sister and I are very interested in finding out more of this end of our family, and mom has some stories about them.

Sue

• 8 months later...
On 5/7/2017 at 14:17, SueN26 said:

Hi

i'm excited to find this thread as my mother is the niece of the Mills brothers. Her father was Arthur McTavish Mills and he was at Queen's studying engineering during WW1.  My sister and I are very interested in finding out more of this end of our family, and mom has some stories about them.

Sue

Jessie Fraser Reynolds died in 1934 at Bowden, Alberta....my hometown. Leslie Mills died in Innisfail, Alberta. I will be searching for grave markers soon.

• 3 years later...

Long time since I've been here. Since the last visit, I searched for and found where Leslie and Jessie were buried at the Bowden Cemetery, but found no markers. Last Post fund was contacted and new markers were erected. I also started to volunteer at the local museum and have donated the medals back to the Mills family, and in turn, they donated them to the museums collection. As well that ends well.

20190907_165155.jpg.a23cc333b7f012b0813e73c6aa573292.jpg

Mills Family in 1934. Shortly before Jessies passing - Leslie, Jessie, Fraser, William, Peggy, Elizabeth Jane.

1006949051_MillsFamily1934-LeslieJessieFraserWilliamPeggyElizabethJane..jpg.56b158347002c1700f7eef974bb447dc.jpg