Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pips!

harribobs

I have read somewhere that during the war that the officers pips worn as the forearm were abandoned and replaced by ones on the epaulettes as part of making the wearers less of a target.

Was it done throughout the Army, did some officers still retain the old style ones?

chris

Some officers did indeed carry on wearing pips on their forearms after the badges of ranks had been officially moved to the shoulders - at least away from the Front.

I have seen post-war photographs of officers in that rig (none to post here).

But ... there's nothing mysterious about it. It would be heart-breaking or even unaffordable to toss away a uniform jacket that still fitted and was in good order, wouldn't it? And, if the adjutant was slack you might get away with it.

William

thanks William

Have also seen post war photos of officers wearing their pips on their cuffs. Have also seen a 1939 shot of a Lt wearing his pips on his cuff while overseeing a Bren Gun team demo.

I suppose it comes down to the individual and could they be bothered retailering their field jackets.

Also during the 30's in NZ, there was very little money for defence, so I would assume that YO's made do with what they were issued until the battledress became available,

DCLI group, Cornwall, 1920 (ish)

post-23-1101465616.jpg

thank you very gents

that answers my question!

great pictures as well