Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

P.1907 marked to the 4th North Somerset Yeomanry?

trajan

This one, owned by a Turkish collector,who asked my advice on it, has me puzzled... It is a relic condition HQ, P.1907, 8 '09 Sanderson, allegedly - you guessed it! - from Gallipoli. The pommel marking is 4.ST / 107, the N.ST being, I understand, the North Somerset Yeomanry. But according to LLT, there was no 4.N.ST... Any comments happily received and appreciated!

post-69449-0-56789100-1454008683_thumb.j

as an alternative: 4th North Staffs? (Prince of Wales's) a reserve battalion IIRC

Chris

as an alternative: 4th North Staffs? (Prince of Wales's) a reserve battalion IIRC

The usual abbreviation of North Somerset Yeomanry is NSY.

Quick thanks both (bedtime here!). I was going by the 1904 Instructions to Armourers, List III. 'Somerset, North N.ST'. Any other possibilities?

Julian

The pommel marking is 4.ST / 107, the N.ST being, I understand, the North Somerset Yeomanry. But according to LLT, there was no 4.N.ST... Any comments happily received and appreciated!

Julian,

There is actually an ' F ' on the end there although it is hard to see, and the full stamping is 4. N.STF. for 4th Battalion, The Prince of Wales' ( North Staffordshire Regiment ).

With 107 being the bayonet's serial number.

Regards,

LF

Many thanks Chris, Phil and LF. It is in 'orrible condition, but with its original grips, slightly shrunken. I think it is a relic find.

Julian