Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

George V personal letter

David Seymour

Has anybody else come across handwritten letters from the King to returning POWs. The one I have seen is manuscript in blue ink on one side of Buckingham Palace (address in red at top of page) notepaper, and signed George RI.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes,

David

David

I seem to remember this being discussed before. A search should deliver something.

The document is actually printed but it does look handwritten.

I did have one of these until fairly recently with a rather Battered Victory Medal,to the Worcesters.They are indeed Printed Facsimile " Handwritten" & "Signed",Not Written by Hand.The Regimental & Serviceman's Details however were Hand~Written by a Different Hand in Black Ink @ the Top Right Hand Corner {Facing}

Hi David,

I have a pair and scroll to Pte. Joseph N. Moss, 8th Border Regiment. It's exactly as Harry describes.

In addition there's an interesting letter from 2/Lieut. H. J. Graham, C Company, dated 13 August 1918, indicating that Moss was reported missing on 27 May.

"In the particular area where C Company were fighting a number of our men were surounded & taken prisoners by the enemy & it is possible Pte. Moss was one of this number".

If anyone has an interest in the regiment I'd be happy to post a scan.

All the best,

Derek

<crest>

Buckingham Palace.

The Queen joins me in welcoming

you on your release from the

miseries & hardships, which you have

endured with so much patience &

courage.

During these many months of trial,

the early rescue of our gallant Officers

& Men from the cruelties of their captivity

has been uppermost in our thoughts.

We are thankful that this longed

for day has arrived, & that back in

the old Country you will be able

once more to enjoy the happiness of

a home & to see good days among

those who anxiously look for your

return.

George R.I.

===========================

Half-pint,

That's the wording I've seen. So we think it's a cunning printing job do we?

Many thanks everyone!

Best wishes,

David

Hi, David:

Sorry, I simply don't know ... although it does make sense ... all those letters! and it is not addressed personally. Still, Grandad was very glad to have it.

Regards,

Alison

My mother has a letter from Buckingham Palace sent to my Great Grandmother, expressing The King's thanks at her having, off the top of my head, 8 sons in the services. The letter and address etc appear to be individually typed but The King's signature is almost certainly stamped or printed on in some way.

Nigel

I enclose a photo of my example of the Kings letter to returning Prisoners of War.The whole is certainly a facsimile although a good quality one.Mine has the added bonus that is is addressed in hand writting in the top left hand corner to " 405922 Pte.Bowman.F.W. 18th Kings Liverpool Regt."

Peter Brdyon

post-23-1101403282.jpg

Soldiers details were not always added to the letter. There is an unamed one on Speedbid at the moment. I think the envelopes in which they were issued often had the details written on them.

Steve