Death Place: France and Flanders

Enlistment Place: Birmingham

Regiment: Royal Warwickshire Regiment

Battalion: 11th Battalion

Regimental Number: 8556

Type of Casualty: Killed in action

Theatre of War: Western European Theatre

Other Records: Search for 'Alfred George Fairbrother' in other WWI collections

War Diaries (France, Belgium, Germany): Search for 'Royal Warwickshire Regiment' in the WWI War Diaries (France, Belgium, Germany) collection

War Diaries (Gallipoli): Search for 'Royal Warwickshire Regiment' in the WWI War Diaries (Gallipoli) collection

This was my husband's great uncle. We have a lot of information on his life and little on his death except that he is on the Arras memorial. I think it is possible he was buried as we think his unit were in a rest camp next day after his death and that he may have had a grave which was subsequently lost. Although a minimal chance is it possible that he lies in an unknown soldiers grave? Can the experts here say if there are any checks we can make to find out if he ever was buried please? Please note that following careful entry onto our family tree some years back the new ancestry layout shows him as dying in Mexico which obviously is wrong and he only married once, having a few issues with ancestry currently! Many thanks in anticipation

Hello, yes I believe so and I think Alfred may have been killed around a farm where a battle took place

I saw the diary entry on ancestry but still very hard to determine where Alfred may have died

It may be very difficult to determine, but you might be lucky, who knows. There were over 20 men from the 11th battalion killed that day Click and, after a quick look, it appears most of them are named on the Thiepval Memorial. Do you know which company he was in?

Mike

I dnt know which company he was in unfortunately and I clicked above but nothing there. I have seen Alfred's name on the Arras memorial. I would like to see the Thiepval memorial if these men died the same day because they could have been with him though you would think he would be on it too, perhaps he died elsewhere.

Possibly DOW rather than KIA? Or a 'presumed dead'? Soldiers effects records on Ancestry may shed some light

Alison. I made an error saying it was Thiepval, I of course meant Arras. I tried to edit the post this morning and it disappeared? Apologies my head was thinking one thing, and my hands typing another.

Mike

Ah no worries I did wonder about Thiepval but thanks anyway. Just wish I could find out more.

Cannot get into map looks like I am forbidden

Hi

The battalion, as part of 112th Brigade were in the area of bottom left quadrant of square 6 and top left quadrant of square 12 on the 10th April. If a farm is mentioned it is probably les Fosses, you can see it on the Arras-Cambrai road on the map.

post-28845-0-91160500-1454683968_thumb.j

Many of the men who died around this area are on the Arras memorial as it was fought over again in 1918 and many graves will have been lost. A great number are in the nearby Feuchy Chapel British Cemetery (over 500). The same cemetery has 4 11th Warwickshire casualties from the same day therefore the likelihood of your man being there is that bit higher.

Jim

• 4 weeks later...

This is great information many thanks

Cannot get into map looks like I am forbidden

It was ok when I posted it but now I have the same problem!

I have the map many thanks indeed