Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wilfred Edwards VC KOYLI -A Question?

perce620

Hi Guys

On one of the VC sites it says his VC is in the York Castle museum and his other medals are in the KOYLI Museum -what are his other medals?

Perce:D

Perce,

I'm assuming 3 of 'em are his WW1 trio, but other than that - I ain't got a clue :ph34r:

I have found a link on the Doncaster Council site that gives contact info for the KOYLI museum......

KOYLI Museum

Good luck... and if you find out the answer, please let us know ;)

Les.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys

Here's the reason for the post

Court mounted medals

Copy VC, 1914-15 star, BWM, Vic, War medal, Defence , Coronation 1937 and Coronation 1953

BWM and Vic named to 2nd LT W Edwards

Only 3 W Edwards listed on MIC

VC Winner

Casualty London Regt

and an Army ASC officer

Its as close as I'm ever going to get to a VC and apart from the VC all the medals are origional

Hope you like the image( and it cost me nothing, I traded for some spare stuff I had)

Perce :D

post-1-1102415762.jpg

Hi Pals

Just a quick add-on , these medals were purchased so I could get the individual medals-put the picture on another site and have had negative views. The group cost me in the region of £25 worth of trades and have put the picture up to show pals what are out there. I have no intention of reselling as a VC group and the medals were traded for my own collection.

Cheers

Perce: Don't mean to interrupt, but why is does the Queen's Coronation Medal have her facing the opposite direction from the other Royals on other medals?

Kevin

Hi Kevin

The Queen faces from left to right on all her medals,dont know why. Not Sure if Victoria faces the same way aswell ie opposite to all male monarchs

Hi

Don't know the mame on th star as its been properly court mounted and sewed down

Cheer

Kevin - Have a look at the coins in your pocket!

I did...George Washington, Thomas Jefferson and Franklin Delano Roosevelt all face left!

:blink:

Sorry about that, Kevin! I was forgetting our world-wide clientele. I believe the adopted rule is that each king/queen faces the opposite direction to the previous one. I think you`ll find that Edward the 7th & 8th both faced right, while George 5th & 6th faced left. King Charles and Queen Camilla will face left! Phil B

Perce - I wouldn`t be able to resist a peek. It`ll confirm his regiment (or otherwise!)

Sorry about that, Kevin! I was forgetting our world-wide clientele. I believe the adopted rule is that each king/queen faces the opposite direction to the previous one. I think you`ll find that Edward the 7th & 8th both faced right, while George 5th & 6th faced left. King Charles and Queen Camilla will face left!

Hello Phil

I don't think that you are right with this. If you look at a Queens South Africa Medal, a Kings South Africa Medal and the BWM all the three conbsecutive monarchs (Victoria, Edward VII and George V) are facing left.

Andy

I don't know if there is anything that says the Monarchs head should be left facing or right. I'm looking at pages 200-201 (long service medals) of the 2004 Medal Year Book and all Kings & Queen Vic (Gawd bless 'er) are facing to the left - Whereas Queen Liz is facing right.

BUT whilst flicking through the pages to see if this is right or not, the Waterloo Medal has the Prince Regent facing left, but the Delhi Durbar Medal 1903 & Natal 1903 Medal, with Ed VII, is facing right. :blink:

My feeling is, that the direction they were facing was dependent on the mood of the Monarch at the time :lol:

Les

I hold my hand up, Andy & Les!

The heads on the medals do seem to be different. I should have restricted my comments to coins of the realm. The photo shows what I mean - I couldn`t find an Edward 8th coin, but I`m fairly sure he faced right on the few coins he was on, and I think, on the stamps of the time.

post-1-1102441296.jpg

have tried to lift the 14-15 star and it appears to be an erased one, may cut the thread later and have a proper look