Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Haverskerque - 10km West of Merville

gRANdson

Just an shot in the dark, but after numerous messages from some wonderful folk here, I've now managed to pinpoint where my grandfather would have been when he was shot and wounded leading a raiding party from the 16th Royal Warwickshire Regiment in April 1918.

So, my question is this : Does anyone know this area? If I was to visit the spot next year, does anyone know what I would be likely to see?

His frontline position was at the crossroads at Croix Mairesse, just north of the village of Haverskerque...which is about 10km due west of Merville and where the D196 running north out of Béthune crosses the D122 [He was shot when assaulting a German machine gun position, which apparently was a mere 175 yards to the East of the crossroads' intersection.]

[:) I know - marvellous detail...thank you taryong !!]

For those of you familiar with Multimap.com, this is the web page showing the crossroads at Croix Mairesse.

Many thanks

Hi, look at the map ! German front line is just East to Croix Mairesse (on the right) . Nieppe forrest was in english line in april 1918.

Regards Laurent.

post-4-1101410092.jpg

I will be in that neck of the woods this weekend. If I get chance I will have alook around for you.

See you on saturday !

Laurent.

Are you sure about this testimony ? because german troops are not so close to Croix Mairesse in april 1918 !

In which brigade and division was your grandfather ?

Laurent.

Extract from war diarie WO95/ 1569 15 Inf. brigade 5th Division april 1918:

12 april 1918: the brigade is ready to move from Molinghem (near Airs sur la Lys) to Haverskerque. the order of march of the rest of the column was HQ 15th Inf.Brigade, 1/Cheschire regt, 3 sections 15 M.G coys 1/ Bedford regt, 16/R.Warwick regy (that's what you talk about !), 15/ T.M battery.

The brigade billeted for the night (12 april 1918) at Croix Mairesse and Haversquerke, Brigade HQ at the former village.

13-15 april 1918: The brogade was in divisional reserve with 1 batt. at the disposal of 95th brigade.

13 battalions were engaged in the construction of a continue line of breastworks from MALADERIE (east of Haversquerke) through the "Bois Moyen" (Nieppe forrest) to J.II.d called "the divisional line" map France 36A 1/40000.

16 april 1918: The brogade relieved the 95th Inf. Brigade in the left section of the divisional sector. Brigade HQ were etablished at J.5.C.3.4

18 april 1918: 3.20 AM: A patrol of 9 from the left Bn (1/Cheschires) raided an ennemy M.G.E at K.9.d.9.0 killed 5 germans and brought back identification of the 223nd RI (48th Reserve Div.)

(...) when your grandfather was shot in april 1918 ? i think i could help you more.

Laurent.