Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

R.A.S.C. expert help needed

johndavidswarbrick

Dear All,

I have the following extract from the Great War Roll of Honour:

J. Swarbrick. [Driver RASC] Two months after joining in October 1916, he was drafted to German East Africa, where he served at Dar-es-Salaam and various other places. He was engaged chiefly in conveying ammunition and other supplies to the forward areas and did much good work until his return home in January 1918. Demobilised in November of the following year he holds the General Service and Victory Medals.

30, Squire Street, Cheetham

And I also have two possible candidates for this man:

Medal Index Card:

Swarbrick John, A. S. C., Acting corporal, M2/182987

[M stands for Mechanised transport and the 2 denotes part of the “new” Army]

Victory medal

British medal

Extract from the medal roll [WO 329/2006 page 12952] has: M2/182987 Private Swarbrick, John - Royal Army Service Corps [A/Corporal]

and

Medal Index Card:

Swarbrick John, A. S. C., Private, M2/226901

Victory medal

British medal

Extract from the medal roll [WO 329/2018 page 16863]

M2/226901 Private Swarbrick, John - Royal Army Service Corps

Anybody care to suggest which of the two are the most likely for the lad who lived at Cheetham?

Thanks in advance,

Dave Swarbrick

• Admin

Medal Index Card:

Swarbrick John, A. S. C., Acting corporal, M2/182987

This soldier appears on Part 2 Orders MT Depot Shortlands Expeditionary Force Leave 16.2.1918. to 20.2.18. so served in F & F, not Africa

Fragment on FMP (free this weekend)

http://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=gbm%2fwo363-4%2f007367755%2f00932&parentid=gbm%2fwo363-4%2fsupp%2f339098

Ken

Hi Dave

The John Swarbrick who comes up on Ancestry censuses as a likely candidate was born 1880, @ Burnage, Lancs. His mother Sarah Holt Swarbrick (nee Phillips) was born Cheetham, Lancs. Father Joseph was an Architect in later life. He was born Salford. Now all we need is to find a reference to M2/226901!!!!!

Regards Barry

1911 Census John Swarbrick is an Architect. 1922 to 1923 a John Swarbrick was the President of the Lancashire and Cheshire Antiquarian Society.

Hi Barry,

I am aware of the family of the John Swarbrick you identify - he was the son of Joseph who was an Alderman of the City of Manchester and John was a prominent architect in the 1920s & 30s. I have several addresses for them in and around Manchester - but none at Cheetham. However he remains a prime candidate - if I can only connect the dots!

Regards,

Dave

Hi Dave

British Phone Books.

Joseph Swarbrick & Son, Architects, 14 John Dalton Street,Blackfriars, Manchester,1933 Blackfriars was a former ward of Salford which is also a boundary with. Cheetham (Electoral Ward)/Cheetham Hill , same area. 1911 census not at 30 Squire St, family with a different name. Tabor..Ancestry has them as Taboy. Census shows address as Cheetham Hill.

Regards Barry

John Swarbrick, 24 Moorfield Road, West Didsbury, entry above Joseph etc. concurs with 1911 census.

Edited by The Inspector

Hi Dave,

Obviously I don't know all the background research you have carried out so far, so I don't know how you are certain that your man is one of two Johns.

Just reminding you that the Medal Rolls Index lists 6 J.Swarbricks in the ASC; The two Johns listed above, another John T2/018015, a James T3/030034 and two Josephs.

Both the Josephs seem to be drivers in that their numbers are M2/019826 and M2/227493.

I havent looked up service records, but there are 5 surviving Service Records for J.Swarbricks, some of them admittedly pre-war, but may be relevant.

Hi Dai Bach,

Thanks for your response and for the time you have taken to check. My research has been pretty intensive and I am aware of the men you mention:

T2/018015 is John Ormerod Swarbrick from Oldham. T3/030034 is James from Lytham. M2/019826 is Joseph Swarbrick who was born in Preston and lived in Bury. M2/227493 is Joseph Wickstead Swarbrick from Bispham who lived in Blackpool.

I'm fairly certain that it's one of the two Johns.

Regards,

Dave

Hi Barry,

Thanks for the additional information on Joseph and John - they are certainly in the right geographical area. Sarah Holt Phillips - John's mother, seems to have given Cheetham as her birthplace in at least one census.

Regards,

Dave

Hi Dai Bach,

Thanks for your response and for the time you have taken to check. My research has been pretty intensive and I am aware of the men you mention:

T2/018015 is John Ormerod Swarbrick from Oldham. T3/030034 is James from Lytham. M2/019826 is Joseph Swarbrick who was born in Preston and lived in Bury. M2/227493 is Joseph Wickstead Swarbrick from Bispham who lived in Blackpool.

I'm fairly certain that it's one of the two Johns.

Regards,

Dave

Cheers Dave,

Just wanted to make sure that nobody slipped through the net.

Hi Barry,

Thanks for the additional information on Joseph and John - they are certainly in the right geographical area. Sarah Holt Phillips - John's mother, seems to have given Cheetham as her birthplace in at least one census.

Regards,

Dave

Hi Dave

Three censuses. ,81,91,01

Regards Barry