Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lewis Gun radiator casing or barrel shroud

Dan Morton

Was the radiator casing or barrel shroud portion of the Lewis gun painted? Photos of the Lewis in Robert Bruce's Machine Guns of WWI and other references don't make this completely clear, plus in Bruce's book the Lewis is restored, etc. What I'd like to know is did the factory normally paint the radiator casing or not? And if they did paint it, what color?

Cheers!

The lewis gun we have does has painting on it. Also the one in the museum doesn have painting too. Not the cooling radiator but the casing, outside tube.

The colour is brown - khaki. Offcourse the colour now is darkend a bit.

I think the model paint of Revell Nr. 86 was near to the original colour.

I've seen numerous Lewis guns, and only on one of these was the shroud painted. As Kristof says, this was a flat/matt khaki, and obviously professionally (ie factory) done, and not field applied camoflage. So, my opinion is that it wasn't normal for the factory to paint the radiator casing, but it was done on occasion.

Some were, some weren't. I haven't seen a source yet that states that the Lewis came painted direct from the factory or wether it was done by the armourers in the field. I believe the shade was called "Machine Gun, Brown". I have one or two clear WW1 photos that show the jacket painted.

What may be of interest is of the recent batch of Lewis guns on the market, I had the priviledge to see the original batch, of which about a dozen had retained brown/khaki painted jackets. A few of the magazines were also painted the same colour. The bipods had this colour, but a few had a more greenier shade. Maybe WW1 or maybe post-WW1?

Yes the outside tubing were painted. As far as i recollect have read in official documents regarding lewisguns they were also painted in camo.which means in colors khaki ore brown, green, black. Some even had white ore heavencolor bleu onthem as to blend them with horizon.

These paintjobs were mainly done behind the lines and not factory made.

added picture...our beast

coo-ee

Patrick

post-23-1101339593.jpg

Dan,

I don't think painting the Lewis gun was done at factory.

It was done locally. In France the BEF issued GRO 1339, 27 December 1915, that stated:

"The issue of a special preparation of khaki paint for painting the casings of Lewis guns is approved on a scale of 1 pint per battalion in possession of these guns.

The painting should be done under regimental arrangement."

This GRO was in effect for the rest of the war.

Joe Sweeney

Joe,

do you know if the magazines were painted too?

Kristof,

I've not come across any specific order indicating that magazines would be painted khaki like the casings--I have copies of all 5555 GRO's issued by the BEF from August 1914 through 11/11/18. However, lowere echelons may have issued orders to that effect. So it would not surprise me if magazines did end up painted. Doubt it was done on a large scale, but on a scale that it would not have been too unusual. This is just conjecture

What was common with magazines was painting a white half moon on top. This was to allow ease of aligning the magaizine when reloading the Lewis gun at night.

I have a magazine so painted.

Joe Sweeeny

Joe,

that is intersting.

Can i have a picture of that?

Because indeed, the changing of the magazines during action is not so easy. Speaking out of experience...

many thanks joe!

it is a very nice beast, if you tread it with respect.

The Belgian rattlesnake can be a very nice pet.... :lol: