Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Artillerymen and equipment

They (the RFA) didn't 'carry' rifles as this would have interfered with their work as gunners. However, they were small arms trained and had either rifles or carbines which were used to defend the guns. There are numerous examples of gunners digging in and shooting back in both the 1914 and 1918 retreats.

I believe that the Aussies ran things along the same lines as the Brits.

The same still goes for today - being a gunner myself there is nothing worse than bringing a gun into action with a rifle getting in the way (except for needing to use it while do so maybe).

The article i saw said the ww1 gunners weren't even issued rifles or bayonets which i find very hard to believe.

The Heavy Batteries at 2nd Ypres had a proportion [varied] of men on the gunline armed with rifles; when there was a threat of a breakthrough everyone else was armed with shovels, crowbars and hammers etc and made ready to fight with these if necessary. They were quite cheerful about the prospect ..............

Fortunately for them not tested.Fuzes on their ammo set to zero.

When the 2 London Hy Bty [TF] had to retire from Kitchener Wood they had nine rifles available. These were used by a party of officers and men to cover the withdrawal of the remainder of the battery on foot, leaving their 4.7 guns having removed the strikers.

Alan

According to my equipment tables there were 48 rifles issued to a RFA Battery these rifles were carried in rifle buckets on mounted men issued with them. 50 rounds of ammunition was carried 24 rounds by the man and 26 rounds carried on the gun or limber. I am off to the RA Museum on friday I have booked a day in the library for research, I could get more info if reguired. When I was in the army (RHA and RA) I retired 12 years ago we certainly had rifles, SMGs and a Bren on each Gun Sub. I have served on 25 Pdes, Pack Howizers, 5.5in and Abbot as a gun number and as a No 1.

John

In March 1918, artillery batteries were also defending themselves with Lewis guns as well, having received training from infantry instructors.

Robert

I have a signaller in a TF battery being trained on Lewis Gun and using it in action c.1917/18 against aeroplanes.