Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte Harry Probert KOSLI

anthony P

Good Evening all

I am seeking information and confirmation on.

Private Harry Probert, 8170, King's Own Shropshire Light Infantry.

Harry was born April 1889, at Church Stretton, Shropshire.

1911 Census has him, St Chad's Shropshire, Private KOSLI.

Harry was missing presumed dead, Somme, 12th October 1916, remembered on the Thiepval Memorial.

I am looking for confirmation that he was awarded the Military Medal, and if so under what circumstances.

I am also looking for his enlistment date, or any other information.

Thanks in anticipation.

Tony.

Many Thanks Ken.

That was the confirmation I needed.

I will take your advice, war diaries and local newspapers.

Thanks again

Regards

Tony.

War Diary for 1 KSLI on Ancestry UK has two batches of MM awards from mid-Sep to 1 Nov 1916, bearing in mind that there is often a 3 month lead-in to being published in the London Gazette:

4 Oct 1916 there were 13 awards of the MM for actions around 16 to 18 September 1916. 1 Nov 1916 there were three MM awards, seemingly as a result of actions of 12 October 1916. Harry wasn't listed. No citations were noted against these awards.

There may be more later in the November text of the War Diary.

There is a copy of the orders for the action of 12 October, whilst the Brigade were in trenches south of Gueudecourt, when Harry was listed as missing presumed dead. The 1 KSLI were to follow up the front line Battalion 2nd Yorks and Lancs. Whilst they fought to capture the German line the 1 KSLI were to take over the vacated trenches of the 2 Y&L ( MISTY and RAINBOW Trenches) and retain them. As it was, the Y&Ls were repelled and driven back.

Many thanks, sotonmate and Chris.

sotonmate.

Then Harry was list missing presumed killed at Gueudecourt. That ties it down. Also he could have be awarded M.M. in that action.

Chris

Harry had only been married to Barbara for 12 months (October 1915). They would have married whilst Harry was on leave, and possibly only had a few weeks

together. Barbara was 76 years old when she died, she never remarried.

Thank you for his enlistment date, 10 years a soldier, maybe one year on reserve.

Again many thanks.

Regards

Tony.

• Admin

8169 Cornish enlisted as Boy Bugler aged 15 years and 7 months. Terms of enlistment 12 years (seven with the colours five on the reserve) so in August 1914 he would have had a reserve commitment and be called back to the Army, Pte Cornish went to the 2nd Bn. The diary notes problems with the equipment etc of reservists. These were general terms of service which almost certainly applied to your man. The problems mentioned in the diary may help to explain why he went to France a couple of weeks or so after the main body.

8174 transferred into KSLI 7 August 1906 who with Pte Cornish brackets your man (boy!) who enlisted in Shrewsbury.

Ken

Hi Ken

Then Harry (8170) would have enlisted at Shrewsbury on or about 7th August 1906. Seven years with the colours, five on reserve.

His reserve would have been less than 12 months as he embarked 20th August 1914. Entitling Harry to the 1914 Star.

Thanks very much for this valuable information.

Regards

Tony.

• Admin

Tony

Just noticed an omission in my previous post I meant to say Cornish enlisted on the 27th July 1906, so your man was between 27/07/1906 and 7/08/1906.

Sorry, it was late!

Ken

Thanks Ken

The dates of between 27th July 1906 and 7th August 1906, would still see Harry being on reserve about 12 months before his call up.

This would relate to over 9 years service before his death.

I will now try to find if he is remembered in Church Stretton, or KOSLI Shrewsbury.

Many thanks for your time and information, very much appreciated.

Regards

Tony.

1906 was in the middle of changes to terms of service.The usual service term was 9 & 3 between October 1904 and September 1906. In September 1906 it reverted again to a 7 & 5 term.

If he enlisted Jul/Aug 1906 the usual term was 9 & 3 - this would means he was still serving in 1914 and not in his reserve.

Craig

Thanks Craig.

That means Harry completed over 10 years Service. Obviously a career Soldier.

Still looking for a citation for his Military Medal award.

Thanks very much, I have a much clearer picture of Harry army life now.

Much appreciated.

Regards

Tony.

• Admin

Whether 7 and 5 or 9 and 3 the result or even, as shown in the Cornish papers, a 'Long Service' enlistment of 12 years (with the colours), the result is the same, a twelve year commitment.

Therefore 1906 + 12 = 1918

I don't know too much about pre-war enlistment but I'm guessing this applied to a 'boy' who at 18 became a soldier.

Ken

Hi Ken

That sounds spot on. Harry was born April 1889, if he enlisted 27th July - 7th August 1906, he would have been 17 years old.

Many thanks.

Regards.

Tony.