Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Travelling to Thiepval

LindaH

My friend and I are lucky enough to have tickets for the Theipval Memorial but have missed out on the dedicated Eurostar service which was sold out today without us even having our 4 hour phone call picked up! We will be travelling from Carlisle and wondered if anyone would be willing to share driving costs etc from Cumbria or London or the south coast or Lille etc We might still stay i London for 2 nights and book the Eurostar to Lille but would love a lift from there or advice about how to make our own way.

Thanks in advance!

Linda

Those tickets for the Eurostar sold out so fast.

The special charter service will leave St Pancras at 06:20 (UK time), calling at Ebbsfleet at 06:35 (UK time), and arriving at Haute Picardie at 09:25 (French time) where transport will be available to take guests to Thiepval.

On the return, it will depart from Haute Picardie at 17:10 (French time), stopping at Ebbsfleet at 17:48 (UK time), and arriving at London St Pancras at 18:12 (UK time).

This special charter service has been put on only for the 1 July commemorative event, and so it will not stop at Lille or Paris. The fare is £99.00 return for Standard class and £199 for Standard Premier return; there are no other fares available.

Hope you get a ride Linda.

Linda

If you are driving from Cumbria to London why not avoid London and head for the channel ports. Get a ferry or use the tunnel to Calais. The drive the other side is a lot easier than what you have planned already. An early ferry from Dover could mean an easy stop for lunch in France before the onward drive to Thiepval. I've no idea of the timing of the service at Thiepval but the drive from Calais is not much over 2 hours. A B&B in Dover or Calais should be easier than an overnight stop near Thiepval. It would certainly be the option I would choose.

Garth

Thanks for the advice Garth...it may come to that but I am a bit nervous about driving so far and about driving onto a ferry (I know I need to be braver!)...so I am exploring options at the moment! Thanks

Linda

Hi

I was lucky enough to get a ticket on the train (3 hours & 8 minutes), but failing that I intended to do as Garth suggests. B&B in the Dover area, early ferry and drive down, I've always found the drive to the Somme fairy easy. If you look at the details you have to fill in on the link in the SEE tickets email, it looks like there will be parking provided at Albert and transfers to Thiepval.

IanC

Hi

I've always found the drive to the Somme fairy easy.

IanC

Fairy nuff Ian.

Linda

If you are brave enough to drive almost the whole length of the M6, a lot of the M1, possibly some of the M25, and then think about driving in London then you are more than brave enough to cope with Calais to Albert and back.

As far as the ferry is concerned just follow the car in front - easy peasy.

Enjoy the trip

Garth

Thanks for the encouragement Garth, I have decided I will drive onto the ferry, but I have booked Hull-Zeebrugge. It means I do not have to drive all the way to Dover and as we will have a cabin on the ferry we will also save on booking a hotel on the way to Dover. I feel better having decided what to do. I had been counting on the train you see!

Best wishes

Linda

Your next issue will be somewhere to stay! I would book as soon as possible and be prepared to travel a distance to the Somme. Since I am pretty sure that no cars will be allowed anywhere near Thiepval on the day, I would think they will use the airfield outside Albert as a parking area and then use shuttles to get you to the Memorial. I suspect, also, that you will have to be there some time before anything happens, so a decent packed lunch and water (or something stronger) would be sensible - and doubtless be prepared to have the contents of your sandwiches closely inspected by security!

• Admin

I would also add that a cast iron bladder would be a consideration! Like Nigel above I would say that you are unlikely to get anywhere local to stay, have a look at the gites de France website for bed and breakfasts, there are quite a few in the Somme department

Michelle

I suspect that one thing that they will have is a corps worth of latrines (keeping to the military theme), fortunately with 21st century sensibilities in mind.

If looking for accommodation I would suggest trying on the western side of Albert and search back from there. Gossip suggests that relatively local gites have been booked up for months.

I was not lucky enough to get tickets and with hindsight now relieved I did not. I was planning to go in any event but have decided to avoid the Somme in July / early August at all costs. Will go later to enjoy a quieter commemoration in a secluded cemetery. After all it wasnt just fought 1/7/16 by Imperial troops.

For those going I hope all goes well.

TT

So sad for so many that this has become a Eurofest political binge. Wall to wall Eurocracy. The cost of the rail tickets alone are outrageous. I'll wait this year until all the hoha is over and take a nice quieter trip.

I fully understand the comments made in the last two posts, but I hope Linda and others will not be put off going. There is, in my view anyway, something unique and special about these anniversaries, whether the event is a huge one such as this or a more modest one with significance to a particular unit or individual.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your interest and advice. The Hull-Zeebrugge ferry means I have overnight accommodation for Thursday and Saturday and I have booked a hotel on the coast on Friday night as I thought the Somme area would be too busy. As it happens I have also booked a week in a self-catering cottage near Combles for the end of August so I can explore the Somme area at my leisure. So I hope to enjoy the Ceremony on the 1st and do more later in August. I am representing my school and we had 6 boys die on 1st July and there are 10 names on the Thiepval Memorial too.

Linda

I was lucky to get tickets and am looking forward to it.

I was nervous the first time i drove down to the Somme but if you set your sat nav to avoid tolls you get a real feel for driving and it's not quite so manic even if it takes a bit longer.

My advice would be to approach Albert from the west side - or at least nowhere east of it, as I am pretty sure that road closures will be extensive on that side and it will throw your satnav into a tissy fit - eg, 'make a u-turn' constantly coming out of the machine. So set it for somewhere like Meaulte (I expect that's where the parking is going to be, before you get on to a shuttle.

Linda.....just a slight concern. If you are getting the Hull ferry on Thursday, then you will dock at Zeebruges somewhere about 9 on the Friday morning. the drive down towards parking at Albert aerodrome will be a couple of hours, so you may not get there much before noon.

At what time in the ceremony at Thiepval?

Bruce

Hi

The ferry docks at 7.45. I hope it will give me enough time. I had no choice really as I have been given Thursday afternoon and Friday off work but have to be at work in Carlisle Thursday morning. I was faced with the drive to Dover Thursday afternoon/evening and then crossing late at night or early morning or the drive to Hull - and chose the latter - s I was already a bit worried about driving such a long way and onto a ferry for the first time. I know my limits and I think driving Carlisle- Dover is one of them! I had so hoped to get on the train! Still...Apparently it is only a 2 hour drive to Albert from Zeebrugge so fingers crossed! After all I could have got stuck in Dover Friday morning anyway.

Thanks everyone for the advice. It really helps me think through what to do!

Linda

• 3 months later...

Hi Linda, just noticed your post. My friend and I will be driving from Leeds Late on Wednesday 29th June to catch early Eurotunnel train across to France. (30th June) Staying in Abbeville. I am just awaiting details of timings to get to Thiepval on the 1st July.

We are booked for return on Euro train teatime on 3rd July, I can offer you and your friend a lift if you require.

Kind regards

Lorraine

• 1 month later...

An update!

We were required to be at Albert for 7am so the Hull-Zeebrugge option was not viable and I had to cancel that. I then managed to get all of Thursday off work so we are now crossing from Newhaven to Dieppe Thursday evening. Still nervous!

Linda