Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Invergordon in WWI

mbriscoe

Thanks for this. Cromarty was my home a hundred years ago. Even when I was a child the fleet still came into the firth.

Hazel C.

Interesting area, I went over to Cromarty a couple of years ago for a talk on the sinking of the NATAL. There is a lot of interesting stuff in the area, I had a look around South Sutors gun battery a few years ago (on an official trip but the owners discourage visitors now). There has been an archaeological dig recently in the old part of Cromarty.

You can look up sites in the area on the HER and Canmore. Am Baile has lots of interesting old photographs, documents and other things.

Interesting area, I went over to Cromarty a couple of years ago for a talk on the sinking of the NATAL. There is a lot of interesting stuff in the area, I had a look around South Sutors gun battery a few years ago (on an official trip but the owners discourage visitors now). There has been an archaeological dig recently in the old part of Cromarty.

You can look up sites in the area on the HER and Canmore. Am Baile has lots of interesting old photographs, documents and other things.

Thanks, will check those links. Was there a couple of months ago, but owing to various family emergencies, only managed to make one quick visit to the Forts. A very old family friend, Eric Malcolm, (unfortunately he died 10 days before I got home this time) was heavily involved with the Natal Research and all his papers have (I think) been given to one Sandy Thomson for continuing study. I am fortunate to have hand written copies of much of his work in the area as he always used to send the drafts to my Uncle prior to delivering his lectures or publication of his work.

One interesting piece of information I picked up, was that someone in Cromarty is researching the WW1 Military Hospital at Newton. Unfortunately, I was unable to follow up on this either but still intend to do so if I go home this year.

Hazel C