Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Breakfast on Somme?

KIRKY

If one arrives around 7-00am on The Somme where can we get a decent Breakfast or on route from Calais?

Tony

What do you call 'decent'?

French? British? American? Spanish?

Please specify!

The autoroute stops should provide you with a 'French' style breakfast of sorts but at circa 7.00 am, that is pushing it a bit for anywhere else. Why so early?

If you arrived an hour or so later then a good British breakfast would be easy to find.

Martin

Why not have breakfast on the ferry?

Why not have 2 breakfasts?

You could take a camping stove and make your own? Don't forget the HP sauce.

Travelling on the Tunnel, so early so can get extra hours on The Somme!

Re style something substantial! Its possible to make our own a thought.

Thanks for advice so far!

• Admin

I recommend the camping stove option!

Ignore previous post #3 - what about this? Three miles from the Eurotunnel terminus apparently.

Folkestone Services - From the M20 westbound, you need to leave at J11 and take the second exit (left) at the roundabout. From the M20 eastbound, you need to leave at J11 and take the fourth exit (right) at the roundabout.

You could have something to eat before the Eurotunnel journey and get something to take away for the journey down to the Somme.

Tony

This may be too late but if you don't mind stopping off in Arras then L'Eurostar near the train station in Place Foch opens at 7am. Alternatively contact Avril at Ocean Villas and see if she will do an early breakfast for you as a one off.

Neil

we allways stop at Maidstone services, dog has a run out and we have a mcD breakfast then its onto the shuttle. next stop Bonnieres.

Campaniles (hotels) have breakfast buffets which are open to walk-ins. (Calais, Béthune, Arras, St-Quentin, Laon... buffet a volonté, 9,90 €. Open 0700h - 0900h) Most chain hotels (and indeed many others) will sell you breakfast even if you're not staying there. Campanile Arras is in St-Nicolas, not far from the A26.

If you stop at a hypermarket to get fuel (cheaper than the autoroute), you could use the café there. Most do more substantial offerings than croissants.

Gwyn

I hesitate to mention that Ronald McD. has one of his establishments on the outskirts of Albert.

There is also one just as you leave the motorway at Bapaume.

In truth there are few places to eat on the battlefield. Indeed I had difficulty finding anywhere for lunch - the Calypso in Longeval being just one example of a cafe not being open !

I hesitate to mention that Ronald McD. has one of his establishments on the outskirts of Albert.

Not open until 10am.....

Tom

Indeed I had difficulty finding anywhere for lunch - the Calypso in Longeval being just one example of a cafe not being open !

Easy surely, Avril's at Ocean Villas!

My Bottlefield Tours for colleagues and spouses in a minibus were always based around flasks and camping stoves for the simple reasons of saving time and providing predictable quality.

If the breakfast bacon butty was a little late, some blokes would have a "light libation" as a hair of the dog from the night previous. From stopping the bus to serving breakfast took a very short time with a well-drilled team, it was like the Royal Tournament field gun competition.

We always had a mighty evening meal in one of our favoured haunts though.

I don't do it any more [the tours, the tours] because tempus fugit.

Have breakfast at your B&B on arrival, I have done that many times, then you are ready for a days walking.

Personally, I would find a decent Boulangerie & load up on bread, croissants, pan-au-chocolat & other such items. If you're in the Fricourt area at all, I can thoroughly recommend the one in the village.

Tony

Just an idea. Cook a nice sausage and egg sarnie the night before and wrap up in silver Foil put it somewhere hot in engine compartment of vehicle. Nice hot sarnie on the Somme. Good idea or what?

Terry sounds an ideal way of contracting salmonella!

TT

Croissants, pains au chocolat and so on are not good by themselves if you're watching the glycaemic index of your diet, or are diabetic, and will only provide a short energy rush. Adding some chilled hardboiled eggs, tomatoes and ham would provide the ingredients of a cooked British-style breakfast but without the risk of being poisoned, or low-fat yogurt and muesli, or cheese, fruit and some nuts. Some of the cereal bars are relatively healthy, or make your own (oats, fruit, seeds.. loads of recipes online.)

Even if we take a picnic breakfast, I like to go in somewhere for coffee, washing hands and freshening up, etc, though leaving the main feast until the evening. We carry home roasted almonds for those times when you need an energising snack.

Gwyn