Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Brick building Salisbury area with army (concert?) band

Moonraker

I suppose if anyone should know where this building was, it should be me, but I can't find it in my Wiltshire postcards of the Great War period, nor in any of my books on the army and RAF in Wiltshire:

post-6017-0-76528200-1452959651_thumb.jp

It was published by the Royal Studios in Salisbury, which would appear to be a post-WWI organisation, as I have no other cards produced by it. Note "19RE13", which suggests that the hall(?) was built by the Royal Engineers in 1913. By then, most of the early 20th-century construction work at Bulford and Tidworth had been completed, though in that year buildings would be being erected at RFC Netheravon and the Central Flying School, Upavon.

Half-a-dozen of the men are wearing medals, supporting the theory that this a post-WWI photograph

So, any ideas as to where the building was/is would be welcomed, please.

I fear that focussing on the cap badges would produce a very blurred image.

To my completely non-musical eye, there are several large instruments that indicate that these men might have provided entertainment at camp concerts and the like. Would this have been an unit band reinforced by other men with a musical bent? Or would band members swop their usual instruments when "entertaining" for the more cumbersome ones shown here?

Moonraker

It looks like a Regimental/Corps band to me. The Timpani, string bass and what I guess is a xylophone or similar would be used for static concerts and not used on the march for obvious reasons. Have you tried zooming in on the side and bass drums, the Regimental badge would normaly be emblazoned on them.

Charlie

Thanks for your quick reply, Charlie. This is the best I can do.

post-6017-0-01885700-1452963090_thumb.jp

Only a blurred outline, I'm afraid, but with the outline of the cap badge, it may prompt a couple of ideas.

Moonraker

It's not part of the hospital complex on the left as you go towards Wilton on the A36, is it?

I'm not aware of any buildings erected specifically for/by the army in Salisbury until the Great War (or even during it). The headquarters of the 2nd Army Corps (later Southern Command) was established at Radnor House, Salisbury in 1901 - the former county gaol situated off Devizes and York roads, whose main building, consisting of three storeys with cellars, had been built between 1818 and 1822. I think that any ancillary War Department buildings were also civilian structures that were taken over. Nor was there a specifically-military hospital in Salisbury.

But I am open to being corrected.

Moonraker

Perhaps if you walk into the Library with a copy and ask they may know?

I've sent a copy to a Salisbury friend, hope that's okay.

That's kind of you, Jane, thanks. I live some way from Salisbury, though in due course I could have emailed the library there. As it happens, I know (of) a guy who has published a couple of books of old postcards of Salisbury, and just before Christmas I sold him one via eBay, enclosing a chatty note with it - but didn't get a response (not even Positive Feedback).

Moonraker