Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Navy Silver War Badge records

Gunner Bailey

Quick question.

Is there any easy way of tracing a Navy SWB (yet)?

Thanks.

John

Thanks Horatio. I think I'll have to bide my time. John

Sorry, I was absolutely convinced I had downloaded them in the past from the National Archives...

Either way, they are available from Ancestry via the above link.

This is a link to one of the Silver War Badge books
http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/1687/32164_A001957-00000?backurl=http%3a%2f%2fsearch.ancestry.co.uk%2fsearch%2fdb.aspx%3fdbid%3d1687%26path%3d&ssrc=&backlabel=ReturnBrowsing#?imageId=32164_A001957-00004

Sepoy

Well done Sepoy. You were right all along.

The Navy lists have appeared and I've found my badge holder (No 610 L J Dyer)

Many thanks - John

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...

Can't locate mine...............any ideas? No: 37685

If it has the RN prefix it's to Lt. G Denham RN. If it doesn't have the prefix it's army and for Henry Withey as mentioned above.

Tony

If it has the RN prefix it's to Lt. G Denham RN. If it doesn't have the prefix it's army and for Henry Withey as mentioned above.

Tony

Hello Tony, is the prefix you refer to written on the badge? I ask this because my Grandfather, who was in RNVR, has Badge Number 100 in the ledger of War Badges it is recorded in. Unfortunately I don't have the actual badge to identify the full inscription of the number on it. What is the inscription that differentiates between various armed forces the man was serving with?

Don't know, we'd have to ask 7KRRC what's his particular badge if he still has it but yes, in general there's a prefix.

Off the top of my head the badge numbers read as follows:

No prefix = British army

A = AIF

B = British army

C = Canadian army

I = Indian army

NZ = NZEF

RAF = RAF, previously without a prefix (I think?)

RN = Royal Navy

SA = S. African army

There's the O prefix too which I believe is also British army.

Is there MN for Mercantile Marine/Board of Trade and N for Newfoundland?

Badge RN100 belonged to P.O. ET Ellis RNVR, can't quite make out his number ?? Z.205.

Tony

P.S. sorry, just realised what you asked. Yes as far as I know all RN issued badges which includes RNR, RNVR etc. will, as far as I'm aware, have the RN prefix.

Don't know, we'd have to ask 7KRRC what's his particular badge if he still has it but yes, in general there's a prefix.

Off the top of my head the badge numbers read as follows:

No prefix = British army

A = AIF

B = British army

C = Canadian army

I = Indian army

NZ = NZEF

RAF = RAF, previously without a prefix (I think?)

RN = Royal Navy

SA = S. African army

There's the O prefix too which I believe is also British army.

Is there MN for Mercantile Marine/Board of Trade and N for Newfoundland?

Badge RN100 belonged to P.O. ET Ellis RNVR, can't quite make out his number ?? Z.205.

Tony

P.S. sorry, just realised what you asked. Yes as far as I know all RN issued badges which includes RNR, RNVR etc. will, as far as I'm aware, have the RN prefix.

Thank you for this, you're right Petty Officer Evan Thomas Ellis RNVR. His number is MZ/205. On a lot of his records this is shortened to Z/205, I believe that the M denotes that his parent unit was the Mersey Division of RNVR before transferring to RND and Collingwood Battalion. Just one point from the very useful information you have provided.....were Merchant Navy Sea Men awarded the SWB? Edited by Lawryleslie

Just checked Howard Williamson's Great War Medal Collectors Companion, he states MN for Merchant Navy so yes, they must have received them too.

• 1 month later...

Hi

I am trying to find out where i can see the records for RN and RND Silver war badges , Ancestry only seem to do British Army? Just wanted the same search facility as Ancestry but for matelots

Any ideas?

Thanks

Hi,

I was trying to find them as well. Links on the above thread don't seem to work. Did it work for you NR72 ?

If not, did you find them another way ?

Regards

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=1687

This one works for me. I wonder if it depends on the Ancestry membership you have?

For example, Essentials doesn't include everything which listed as available on the Ancestry website . This is misleading:

Access the largest online collection of British World War One military records - from pension and service records to medal indexes and more.

Just a thought

.CGM

• 5 weeks later...

I have found SWB records for an RNAS man on Ancestry in the main Naval medals area. Never looked for RND men.

Keith

Edit in this section: in the UK, Naval Medal and Award Rolls, 1793-1972

Look under "Browse this Collection" on the right-hand side of page, shown in Keith's Link. Just set the "Medals" drop down menu to "WW1 Medals and Awards" and then the "category" drop down menu to Naval War Medals - Silver War Badges.

This will give you a list of RN SWB related items including the badge number indexes. Just click on the volume that includes your badge number. Then just scan through until you find the relevant badge.

If you are still struggling just post the SWB Badge number.

Sepoy

• 3 weeks later...

Alternately if you know the mans service number and name, under the naval medal roll type it in and not only will it bring up his ww1 medal roll also lsgc and swb entries.

• 2 years later...