Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gew 98 1917 Help Please

flers1916

I have just bought a Gew 98 as shown in the photographs. Markings include Spandau 1917 HEGE 8 x 57 JS 7.91 You will notice that it has a turned down bolt which I understand is unusual - does anyone know if this is original fitting? All comments will be appreciated.

post-74901-0-38096500-1452800603_thumb.j

I would like to see the rear sights, they appear a flat ladder sight as opposed to the snail type, the rifle may be a modified GW G98. The more photographs the better please.

khaki

Is your rifle dated 1920 on the receiver? a number of 'allowed' Reichswehr Weimar Republic G98's were modified in the manner that you described, eg., turn down bolt handle, flat ladder sights and sometimes other features.

khaki

I think the official designation of such a weapon is, somewhat confusingly, Kar 98b.

Despite being identified as Kar (Carbine) they were obviously rifles, and part of the weaponry allowed by the terms of the peace. They were both new made and (often) modifications of WWI GEW 98s - the latter almost always retain their original markings. Some examples have Kar 98b on the side-rail.

The changes are as noted, turned down bolt handle, flat, tangent rear sights which are marked to 2000 metres, usually the hook on the front band was removed (although yours looks to have it).

Chris

So can't be described as a typical WW1 Gew 98? Not knowing a lot about these rifles I took the advice of a well now dealer. Is it worth keeping?

So can't be described as a typical WW1 Gew 98? Not knowing a lot about these rifles I took the advice of a well now dealer. Is it worth keeping?

Not my field at all, but I have some notes to hand on my notebook, and I understand from these that Imperial Gew.98's began to be upgraded in 1924 by Simson of Suhl and were known as the 'Gew.98 mit sS visier'. I have a feeling also that the Gew./ Kar. 98b is a collector's term, not an official one, but the book I need to check is at home...

That aside, have a look at this web-site: http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?285771-Difference-between-Kar-98B-and-Gew-98M

One odd feature about yours, but it might just be the angle of the photograph, is that there does not seem to be a cut-away for the head of the turned down bolt to rest in.

So, it looks to be a bit of a curate's egg... Good in parts... :unsure:

Trajan

Thank you Trajan, you correctly spotted that there is not a cut away for the turned down bolt. So, possibly, an interwar rifle, hmm I will need to think about this. Thank you again.

Carefully read the link Trajan posted, that will explain your Gew98M. It is not a Kar98B, the 98B had a cut-out for the turned down bolt handle and was fitted to use the side mounted Kar sling rather than the standard Gewehr sling. What you have is a post-WW1 modified Gew98 done in the 1930s, the rear sight will be maker marked and dated.

Edited by Gew88/05

Not my field at all, but I have some notes to hand on my notebook, and I understand from these that Imperial Gew.98's began to be upgraded in 1924 by Simson of Suhl and were known as the 'Gew.98 mit sS visier'. I have a feeling also that the Gew./ Kar. 98b is a collector's term, not an official one, but the book I need to check is at home...

Trajan

Although it appears I have misidentified the model in this instance - I don't believe Karab. 98b is a "collector term" as it is engraved on the side wall of some of the rifles as model designation (see Ball 4th ed p190).

What I do need to do now is return to my example and figure out what I actually have! (I've only owned it 20 years!) :wacko: I know it is smothered in Waffen Ampts but I do not recall if it has the indentation for the bolt or not....hmmmm.

Chris

I would ask for refund. There are quite a few WW1 spec G98s on the market with various dealers I would rather have. We all make mistakes and it really pays to research and view as many images as poss before shelling out. Good luck and keep us posted.

Regards

TT

Thank you TT I will do that. The dealer did tell me he was not sure about why it had a turned down bolt but I did say that I wanted a WW1 era Gew98 so I will ask for a refund. Thanks again.

graham if you require any pointers to sites let me know and i will pm you. No connection to any dealer!

Also if you are near Stoneleigh, Kenilworth way I recommend attending the big fair on 31/1 at the show ground. Lots of dealers with choice and you will be able to haggle?

TT

Although it appears I have misidentified the model in this instance - I don't believe Karab. 98b is a "collector term" as it is engraved on the side wall of some of the rifles as model designation (see Ball 4th ed p190).

What I do need to do now is return to my example and figure out what I actually have! (I've only owned it 20 years!) :wacko: I know it is smothered in Waffen Ampts but I do not recall if it has the indentation for the bolt or not....hmmmm.

Chris

Without wanting to completely hijack the thread but because it might be instructive for comparative purposes for Graham43: I dug my example out. I remain slightly confused as to what officially it would have been called.

Obviously post war dated (1926) Marked as Gew 98 with a turned down bolt handle (but no cut out for it)... Pre-dating the Nazi Regime, but clearly used by them given the markings. So what variant would this be? In the linked thread the "Gew 98M" / transitional model (Ball) which do not appear to be official terms, have straight bolts (as opposed to turned down bolts as here) and presumably given the dating mine was produced like this, but perhaps later redone (post 1933) when the turned down?

Stored with it was a bayonet I had completely forgotten about and about which I know nothing but thought it may appeal to some here. As far as I can see the bayonet is totally unmarked.

post-14525-0-63260300-1452895360_thumb.j

post-14525-0-93107000-1452895361_thumb.j

post-14525-0-13873800-1452895361_thumb.j post-14525-0-56390900-1452895361_thumb.j

post-14525-0-30565400-1452895362_thumb.j

Bayonet:

post-14525-0-63057400-1452895362_thumb.j post-14525-0-96399000-1452895362_thumb.j post-14525-0-38851000-1452895363_thumb.j

Chris,

that looks like one of my beloved turked bayonets/abhorations mate, probably a shortened EB45 with muzzle ring removed, can give it a good/loving home if it is of no interest to you ;)

Aleck

Chris Thank you, that looks just like mine except mine is marked 'Spandau 1917'. It would seem, like many subjects, the more expert one gets one finds there is much more we don't know!

Without wanting to completely hijack the thread but because it might be instructive for comparative purposes for Graham43: I dug my example out. I remain slightly confused as to what officially it would have been called.

Obviously post war dated (1926) Marked as Gew 98 with a turned down bolt handle (but no cut out for it)... Pre-dating the Nazi Regime, but clearly used by them given the markings. So what variant would this be? In the linked thread the "Gew 98M" / transitional model (Ball) which do not appear to be official terms, have straight bolts (as opposed to turned down bolts as here) and presumably given the dating mine was produced like this, but perhaps later redone (post 1933) when the turned down?

It started out as a Karab 98b and would have had a stock with cut out for the bolt handle and side sling. Depending on when these were made some have the Gew and others the Karab side rail markings.

As you stated this one was re-barreled in the Nazi era and I wonder if perhaps when it went in for a re-barrel the stock was damaged and they replaced it with a gew 98 stock that was on hand. Is the bolt matching? Nice rifle, and I know the 1926 dated ones are extremely rare.

Your best bet for more info on this is to post it over here: http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdisplay.php?6-The-K98-Mauser-Forum

Here's mine

DSC_0593.jpg

DSC_0600.jpg

Thank you TT I will try to get to Stoneleigh and do my homework better! Pointers to sites would be very helpful.

For starters Google Battleflag Militaria. He has about three. Some are pre war and some wartime dated. The earlier ones unless re stocked have marker disk on butt and no finger grooves.

He will be at Stoneleigh I think.

Note no connection and no link to site.

TT