Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Major Norman Gordon STEWART-DAWSON

Andrew Smith

G'day All,

Norman Stewart-Dawson was another ex Aussie RNAS bloke. He was supposedly born in Sydney on December 11, 1890 and served with distinction during the first war, being awarded a DSO, DSC and being mentioned in despatches.

He again served in the second war with the RAF with the rank of Flying Officer.

Flying Officer seems such a low rank for a man with his credentials, he was 49 at the time of his death, October 15, 1940.

This is where the mystery begins for me. The London Times on September 5, 1940 in the Legal Notice section has Stewart Dawson declared bankrupt, with public examination of his belongings held on October 2nd.

Now I am a suspicious bloke by nature, and have a strong feeling that Stewart-Dawson may have killed himself. Again this is only a theory, can anyone confirm the cause of his death.

Regards,

Andrew.

Hi Andrew,

There is quite a detailed account of how Stewart-Dawson 'won' the DSC in 1916 in Major W. G. Moore's book 'Early Bird'.

Moore was flying on the same sortie on this occasion.

Regards

Matt.

Hi Andrew,

There is quite a detailed account of how Stewart-Dawson 'won' the DSC in 1916 in Major W. G. Moore's book 'Early Bird'.

Moore was flying on the same sortie on this occasion.

Regards

Matt.

G'day Matt,

Thanks for the info on the book, I am headed to the State Library on Monday so I will check it out then.

Regards,

Andrew.