Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Boulogne/Calais

John_Hartley

On our next trip to Ieper, we thought we'd stop another night on the coast on the way back to the ferry. Retail therapy. Good food. That sort of thing. Nothing war-related.

Any recommendations of a "reasonable" hotel (3*, Novotel or the like)?

And any restaurant recommendations (good regional French food)?

Thanks in advance

John

There are a couple of nice auberges in Guisnes not far from Calais. One, near the centre whose name temporarily escapes me (The Old Farm?), has a very good restaurant which comes highly recommended by our neighbours. Unfortunately when my wife and I tried to get a room there last summer after problems with the ferry they were full. We ended up staying at the Calais Campanile where the accommodation was rather basic but it had an excellent restaurant with regional delicacies and reasonably priced. A lot of local people seemed to eat there. Can't say the hotel is in a very picteresque location though.

I've dug out my Calais area restaurant and accommodation guide. If you're interested, John , and you e-mail me your address, I'll post it to you. The place my friends stay at is the La Ferme Gourmande, which is a restaurant but has rooms in an adjacent building.

John

I recommend Le Chateau de Cocove, at Recques-sur-Hem. It's just off the A26 Calais-Paris Motorway Exit 2 for Adres-Licques 20 mins south of Paris.

It's a Best Western 3 star and is an old chateau set in lovely 11 hectare grounds with a long sweeping drive. Excellent restaurant. Tel 03 21 82 68 29.

If you look on Google they have a website.

Tim