Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Your WWI collection

Mat McLachlan

My favourites have to be my Great Grandfathers King's South Africa Medal, a piece of khaki he sent back and a pipe which he engraved.

The Khaki reads: ''A scrap of khaki faded and torn, a piece of a jacket that i have worn, conveys this message away home to thee, from one whom thou art longing to see, an absent minded-beggar to you so dear, wishes you a merry xmas and a happy new year.

South Africa, November 1901.

With Fondest wishes Geo. Tho Stokes''

Guest Colonel Meuziau

My greatest possession is a photograph of my Grandfather (Thomas Bradbury)taken in uniform during the war. My Grandfather died in 1929 of flu, just months before my dad was born. This photograph was all my dad had of his father and carried it in his wallet for as long as I can remember. When my father died I received this photograph. It is battered and torn but means more to me than any other possession I have.

All I know is he served in the Artillery in the Salonika Theater, nothing more. One day I will find out more. I don't know how to start but I hope this site is a beginning.

Medals mainly.

Great grandfathers Naval trio andlong service.

Grandfathers BW&V plus his RGA Cap and shoulder badges.

German East African Coin minted by Von Lettow in Morogoro and from Grandads pockets.

War diary for the East African Campaign, copy only but real words.

Roop

Guest Paul D. Alexander

In my case, it would be my trusty old Australian SMLE, dated 1917, and a 1916-dated British-made SMLE sword bayonet to go with it. The rifle is still a shooter, I might add.

Yours,

Paul

PS: I was a member here some time earlier, but I've changed my ISP and so I had to re-register.

P.

Guest Hangleton

Fork, spoon and bullet, the fork and spoon being badly deformed by the impact of the bullet!

They were in the possession of one of my gt uncles, who fortunately survived the Great War.