Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Was this a rifle grenade?

KIRKY

Hi found this a few years ago on Somme and photographed. Anyone tell me what it is? Always thought it was a rifle grenade of some sort? Out of interest had it gone off?

tony

post-778-0-85210000-1452623429_thumb.jpg

Yes I would say it was a rifle grenade and no it doesn't look like it detonated

Looks like the bottom brass bit of a hales grenade, probably a no20, the stub at the Rt end is possibly the remains of the centre tube carrying the striker around which the main charge sits in the steel shell, as all this is absent I'd suggest it's gone off. Of course I'm no expert and would hate to offer any pronouncement on any items safety, particularly from a photo.

Edit, looking more closely the threads can be seen on the Rt where the steel prefragmented sleeve screwed on.

Your picture gives no indication of scale. The general shape suggests an 'aerial torpedo', fashionable c 1915. A little bit bigger than the usual rifle grenade.

No I'm pretty sure it's the brass section from the bottom of a Hales No20 or possibly a 24, the stub of one of the securing pins can be seen top centre of the picture. Interestingly for Star wars fans the earlier No 3 version of this grenade was what became the Light Sabre with a bit of SFX.

I agree, bottom part of a Hales Rifle grenade that has gone bang. I am confirming BTW as I know for certain. There is an excellent thread on here re grenades that will have an image of an inert one for you to compare,

TT

Thanks guys, was not sure at time if live so left it alone.

Tony