Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Butcher bayonet.

nikp

Hello,

I have been offered a 1907 K98 Alex Coppel smooth edge bayonet with scabbard. Reasonable condition. It has a crown and W15 engraved.Does anyone know what this may be worth bearing in mind I am a tight Herbert.

Nick.

... I have been offered a 1907 K98 Alex Coppel smooth edge bayonet with scabbard. ...

I'm not quite certain what you mean here...

A 'butcher bayonet' is an S.98/05, a bayonet with a blade shaped like a butcher's knife, and which comes in plan and sawback form.

I have never come across a '1907 K98' although there is a k.S.98, introduced in 1901, but these were all made with saw-backs, although these were often removed in 1917-1918...

There is also the S.98, again with or without sawback, introduced in 1898 and still being made in 1915, but this had a narrow blade with a leaf-shaped end...

So, what do you have???!!! Google some of the above and that will give you a clue - hopefully!

Obviously no comment on price is possible without knowing what it is - but even when we find that out, as I am not in the UK I can't do so anyway...

Trajan

Hi Trajan,

The bayonet appears to be an 1898 / 05 . No sawback. Marked with Imperial crown with W 15. Manufactured by Alex Coppel in Solingen. Scabbard has one or two minor dents, blade is clean and bayonet in reasonable condition.

Hope that helps. Any info gratefully accepted by a beginner.

Regards,

Nick.

I paid around £70 last year for a 1916 S98/05 by F.D. Luneschloss in reasonable order, but in a new replica scabbard and with an original frog. Have seen them for sale at all sorts of prices, up to £400, all down to condition and maker 'rarity'. Picked up a fairly good Mauser made example also last year with a few mm missing from the tip, this also dated 1916, but no scabbard this was a bargain £25.

If you look on the 'Gunstar' site, you should find a few for sale, mainly in the higher price bracket.

Mike.

Dealers in the UK ask around £80 to £100 for a decent standard 98/05 and scabbard. Early ones with the high 'ears' on the crosspiece, rare makers, regimental marks or frogs will add value. Sawbacks command a big premium, maybe double a standard one. As in all collecting fields condition is very important.

Yours is a 1915 one which to me is more interesting than a 1918 one.

Cheers,

Tony