Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

One for museum tom

PhilB

It is either Turkey or Pakistan. .they both used the the star and crescent.

Sorry for the delay

Update on this marking althogh Pakistan and Turkey used this marking Egypt did also and this is like the Egyptian script.

Tom.

I think Pakistan can be ruled out as this round was manufactured in 1912.

Identifying the calibre and length of the round might help to narrow the possibilities down. Is it rimmed or semi-rimmed? Doesn't appear to be a rimless round.

Jim

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry m13...my Egyptian is not up to scratch.

Regards.

Tom.

It was a bit of a long shot! For a Turkish bullet, are we looking at Farsi or Arabic Egypt, would you say? Or do you think it could be of some other manufacture? Phil B

I have seen a lot of modern rounds with this headstamp and they all seem to be Egyptian. I will post this query on another forum and ask them to decipher the headstamp and give the answer on this forum.

Regards.

Tom.

I have posted your query on

http://cartridgecollectors.org/f/forum.php

they are a great bunch of guys and should let us know shortly what it is you have.

they will ask you what is the length of the brass casing and what type it is....i.e. bottle necked case, rimmed, rimless, by this they should be able to say the calibre.

Tom.

Hi, I just joined this forum which I think it is "Great". I got into this forum from the IAA forum, looking for that particular headstamp which has Arabic markings. It is a "segmented" headstamp showing an older headstamp style. The year of manufacture seems to be "1330" which is of course an "Anno Hegirae" date. The Mohammedan year is only eleven days shorter and it is based on a lunar year. I have a conversion chart [Hejira date chart] and according with it the year "1330" is 1911 AD Christian date. It would be interesting to know what type of cartridge has that particular headstamp. I need to know exactly if the brass case is rimmed [R] or rimless and the case length measured in millimeters. It may very well be an 8mm Mauser round [also known as 7.92X57] or a .303 British [7.7X56R] rimmed cartridge. Regards, primer55 12/11/04

Sorry, can`t help you, guys. It was part of a trench art letter opener on ebay that I was interested in, but didn`t get. The blade was marked Salonica and Egypt 1919 Phil B

Now I can sleep at night, so its goodnight from Tom 'Sherlock' Burnell in Tipperary.