Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt Colonel W Neilson DSO 4th Hussars

joee86

Dear all,

I am trying to find the citation for the DSO of the above mentioned officer, however having a hard time of it.

He appears a lot in the London Gazette, changing from temp ranks a few times. He is named as W Neilson DSO from about 1917 but not before that, however I still can't find his DSO citation even when limiting the dates.

Any help would be great.

Thanks.

Dear all,

I am trying to find the citation for the DSO of the above mentioned officer, however having a hard time of it.

He appears a lot in the London Gazette, changing from temp ranks a few times. He is named as W Neilson DSO from about 1917 but not before that, however I still can't find his DSO citation even when limiting the dates.

Any help would be great.

Thanks.

Unfortunately, not all D.S.O. Citations were published in the London Gazette, mostly, they were not.

Here are William Neilson's D.S.O Recipient's Book and London Gazette entries :-

D.S.O. Recipient's Book :

NEILSON, William ( D.S.O. London Gazette 1.1.1919 ) ; born 9.10.1891 ; 2nd son of William Neilson, of Arnewood, Kelvinside, Glasgow ; married Maud Anson, daughter of Henry Anson Harton ; three sons ; educated Uppingham ; Sandhurst ; 2nd Lt., 4th Hussars 8.5.1901 ; Lt. 1.51904 ; Capt. 15.9.1909 ; Major 22.11.1915 ; Lt.-Col. 1.1.1918 ; Temporary Brig.-General 1918 ; served European War 1914-18 ; Despatches ; Bt. Lt.-Col. 1.1.1918 ; late Commanding 4th Queen's Own Hussars.

London Gazette :

London Gazette, 1 Jan.1919 - War Office, 1 Jan. 1919.

His Majesty the King has been graciously pleased to approve of the undermentioned rewards for distinguished service in connection with military operations in Salonika.

Dated 1 Jan. 1919.

Awarded the Distinguished Service Order ..........................

NEILSON, William , Major and Brevet Lieut.-Colonel ( Temporary Lieut.-Colonel ), 4th Hussars.

At least you now know that he received his D.S.O. for military operations in Salonika.

Regards,

LF

Thanks, any idea as to how he was in Greece when the 4th was in France?

The reason I am reading about him is quite odd, he appears in my Great Grandfathers service record a few times. My great grandfather seemed to have been quite a good soldier from 1905 up until about 1921 when he is punished for disobeying squadron orders, he was demoted by Lt Colonel Neilson. Neilson then punished him again a week later for leaving a light on, the witness was also Lt Colonel Neilson. Seems they didn't get along too well!

If you google him, he appears again in the gazette in 1919 as winning the Military Cross 2nd class, conferred by the King of the Hellenes, which would fit in with the above. Wonder why he was there.

Actually I have solved it, he appears in an entry as the adjutant for the Middlesex Yeomanry, who did fight in Greece. So he must have transferred at some point and then transferred back.

I don't think he served with the 4th Hussars during the Great War. The regimental history has a photograph of the officers of the regiment, taken at the Curragh in June, 1914 - he's not in in it, nor is he in the nominal roll of officers who proceeded to France with the 4th in August, so I suspect he was extra-regimentally employed during the whole conflict.

Unfortunately I don't have a copy of the Middlesex Yeomanry's history so can't see what mention he gets there.

As his DSO was gazetted in the New Year Honours List, it is almost certainly for generally distinguished service over a period, rather than for a specific act of gallantry, and therefore there will be no published citation.

Adjutants for the TF (which includes the Yeomanry) were normally attached for the duration of their appointment, rather than being transferred out of, and then back to, their Regular regiment.

Ron

Major, and then Lieutenant Colonel, seem high ranks for being an Adjutant. Normally a Captain's appointment. Is it possible he started as Adjutant but then stayed as an officer of the regiment, Squadron Commander, later CO?