Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Move-Werke 84/98nA

motojosh

Picked up this Move-Werke with the distinctive round cleaning hole and square fuller.
Has a very rare matching unit mark to the 94th Kavallerie Regiment which was raised in August 1914 and fought mainly on the eastern front.

DSC_0551.jpg

DSC_0570.jpg

There's an old piece of rope in the mounting slot which was probably put there to keep out dirt.

DSC_0559.jpg

Edited by motojosh

That's a nice looking piece! I am away from home and office, but IIRC, Move-Werke ones are all on the early side aren't they? Is this dated?

Also, I can't recall off-hand a unit-mark quite like that...

You are probably aware, but just in case, on 9 November 1914, the Kaiser issued the decree ordering the cavalry to be provided with S.84/98, and Preuß. Kriegsministerium Nr.1189/11.14.A 2, of 28 November 1914, states that this decree was to be implemented as from January 1915, with the Eastern cavalry units getting them first.

Trajan

A very nice find indeed!! Carter vol.11 page 178 lists a scabbard marked to the same unit. Kav.94.1.93. Very close...... Its with a mismatched Uhlan example. Also shown in Williams part 1.

Rolyboy.

A very nice find indeed!! Carter vol.11 page 178 lists a scabbard marked to the same unit. Kav.94.1.93. Very close...... Its with a mismatched Uhlan example. Also shown in Williams part 1.

Thanks for that! It is always good to have the back-up references to hand on GWF

Actually the name is " Möve Werke" (in case somebody wants to Google for more information)

Genauso, but I have never found out how to do umlauts or an ettsett on GWF using a QWERTYUIOP keyboard... Well. I can do the some of the umlauts if I using my kid's computer to reply as it has a dual English-Turkish setting... So, if I am doing a long reply involving any of the above letters I do it in Word first then paste it.

Also, I can't recall off-hand a unit-mark quite like that...

You are probably aware, but just in case, on 9 November 1914, the Kaiser issued the decree ordering the cavalry to be provided with S.84/98, and Preuß. Kriegsministerium Nr.1189/11.14.A 2, of 28 November 1914, states that this decree was to be implemented as from January 1915, with the Eastern cavalry units getting them first.

Trajan

It's '15 dated. Outside of the one in Carter I've only found one other marking to this unit:

luger.gunboards.com/showthread.php?3703-2-2-HISTORY-OF-THE-1-D-R-AND-THE-94-KAV-REG

I knew of the November 14 decree thanks to your earlier post on the subject :thumbsup:

Rolyboy.

Thank you. I'd seen the scabbard in Carter, but missed the close up of it in Williams.

Actually the name is " Möve Werke" (in case somebody wants to Google for more information)

Thanks for the correction.