Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Lavatory List

Muerrisch

30 minutes ago, JD66 said:

Off to The Salient for the first time in a long time in June.  Will be visiting Mesen/Messines late on a Tuesday morning.  Does anyone (@The Scorer?) know if the Café du Centre will be open then (website says not)?  If not does anyone know whether the loos in the Museum or St Nicholas are still open/available  Asking for fellow visitors whose baldders are not as strong as they used to be!

I'm afraid that I don't, sorry - I haven't been there for a few years, so I'm not up to date with the museum.  

Thanks.  I'll have a mooch round when I'm there and report back (if I remember).

51 minutes ago, JD66 said:

Thanks.  I'll have a mooch round when I'm there and report back (if I remember)

You'll probably remember if your search is unsuccessful.

On 13/01/2016 at 06:13, David Filsell said:

So Its France and Flanders for the continent and the incontinent!

Nice one!!!

Regards,

JMB

• Admin

The car park at Villers-Brettoneaux cemetery has very good toilets. 

I once had an American couple who put in a vociferous complain because there are no 'bathrooms' in the Argonne Forest. The concept of going behind a tree was unknown to them.

• Admin

The same couple you mentioned in post #4 of this thread? 

4 hours ago, Michelle Young said:

The car park at Villers-Brettoneaux cemetery has very good toilets. 

It does. But the VB museum's kharzis are even better.

On 07/02/2023 at 09:59, JD66 said:

Off to The Salient for the first time in a long time in June.  Will be visiting Mesen/Messines late on a Tuesday morning.  Does anyone (@The Scorer?) know if the Café du Centre will be open then (website says not)?  If not does anyone know whether the loos in the Museum or St Nicholas are still open/available  Asking for fellow visitors whose baldders are not as strong as they used to be!

There is a Contact button on their website. There is also a contact button on the town website https://www.mesen.be/

On 08/02/2023 at 13:45, Michelle Young said:

The same couple you mentioned in post #4 of this thread? 

Yes it was. I had forgotten the post.

• 2 months later...

Beware of the “super loo” on the Place Emile Leturcq in Abert if you are tight with your money. My friend nipped in after me as the door was closing as he didn’t want to pay 1 euro. The door closed behind him, the lights went out and there was a nerve tingling scream. He came out looking like a drowned rat. Apparently it’s a self cleaning loo that sprays water and disinfectant all over the inside of the room. He didn’t look to clever but smelled lovely 

• Admin

Went to a cafe at La Ferte Sous Jouarre recently, and the facilities were of the Turkish two foot holes  variety. I’m afraid I baulked at using them. 

5 hours ago, Michelle Young said:

the facilities were of the Turkish two foot holes  variety. I’m afraid I baulked at using them. 

I was informed very sniffily by a café owner in France that those are far more hygienic than the variety with seats. I'm afraid I find them revolting even assuming previous users have been careful. We went on to a different café. 

Something I've noticed (with relief) in Alsace is that I haven't come across the holes in the floor sort.