Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German war memorials in Britain.

GunnerBill

In Dorchester, Dorset, we have a fine war memorial dedicated the the 45 men who died whilst interened in the towns POW camp. The memorial was designed by K Bartolmay and is located in Fordington, St George's cemetery, where the 45 were buried.

The memorial has recently been Listed by English history as a structure of architectural or historical interest. One of the reasons given for the listing was that it is considered to be, "an exceptionally rare example of a First World War memorial dedicated to German prisoners of war."

war

Does anyone know of any other memorials in Britain dedicated to German POW's, other than those at Cannock Chase German Cemetery.

I have attached a photo of the Dorchester memorial.

Thanks,

Brian.

post-28182-0-45672800-1452203215_thumb.j

The German prisoners-of-war who worked in the iron ore mine on Raasay (island near Skye) are commemorated, but unfortunately I can't track down my photos at the moment.

That is really Excellent.......... I knew nothing about that and would have visited when Dorchester the last time.

Many thanks for posting.

KB

Thanks for replying to my mails.

Dragon - I had no idea about the iron mine, it sounds fascinating. Was there a work camp?

Kitchener's Bugle - There is a lot more information about the memorial in my latest book, "Living with the Enemy - Dorchester's Great War Camp," which includes a photograph of a Hitler youth giving a Nazi salute in front of the memorial. The book, the first of its kind as far as I know, describes in detail what life was like inside the camp and how the local population dealt with its presence. It runs to 140 pages and has over 80 photographs. It is priced at £9.99 and you can get a copy from me, or from Amazon or Waterstones.

Cheers and thanks for your interest.