Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A book on Dorchester's POW camp - Living with the Enemy

GunnerBill

I have just published a book on the British PO camp that was located in Dorchester, Dorset. As far as I am aware this is the first publication which gives a detailed account of what life was like inside a military camp in Britain, and shows how the local population dealt with the enemy in its midst. There are many stories, some amusing, some sad, some of foolishness and others of bravery. Then, of course, there were the inevitable escapes.

Dorchester was one of the largest of the British camps and remained opened until November, 1919. The book is based on local, national and international sources, including information from the ICRC and the Bundesarchiv, in Berlin. It runs to 140 pages and has over 80 photographs.

For anyone is interesting in buying a copy, the price is £9.99 and it can be purchased by e-mailing or telephoning me or, if you wish to support this site, by buying a copy from Amazon.

The details are

Title: Living with the Enemy - Dorchester's Great War Prison Camp

Published by Roving Press, 2914

ISBN 978-1-906651-299

Proceeds from sales are being donated to the West Dorset Women's Refuge.

For anyone interested, here is an interview I did for Radio Solent on about the camp. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01s4xst

• 4 years later...

I would love to buy a copy of this book but it seems that it is not currently available on Amazon.  My grandfather, John Desmond Gimlette, was a doctor and - as a temporary lieutenant in the R.A.M.C. - was posted to the staff of the PoW camp at Dorchester in 1915.  While there he met, and subsequently married, my grandmother who lived and worked locally.

Gunner Bill, please could you advise as to whether it is still possible to buy a copy of your book - I'd be so interested to read it.

Many thanks.