Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1918 Enfield

Hesh

Hello and some photos of my most recent purchase a matching numbers 1918 Enfield for comment?

The bore is excellent and I have been lucky enough to find a genuine Flanders flap locally to pair with it.

IMG_0242_zpsmdaebirg.jpg

Looks like it was on display somewhere due to the two holes in front of the unit disc?

IMG_0241_zps8ntrqttj.jpg

Any chance of some overall views?

Is it the original barrel or has it been replaced (under the upper handguard there may be a date on the left side - there will almost certainly be other interesting stamping)

As a 1918 rifle it has an interesting mix of earlier and later parts/features (quite typical) but for example unit disk still present, though unmarked, earlier rounded cocking piece, and trigger-guard with swivel mount rather than wire loop at the front.

You are correct it does look as though it had a plaque/plate attached to the side of the butt at some point.

As you are in Australia - any indications of Australian use/ownership? (D^D or Military District stamping)? It seems quite a lot of 1918 British produced rifles were supplied to Australia at the end of the war so I was wondering if there was any indication this was one of them.

Many of those had later Australian rebuilds (FTR) but it doesn't look like this one did.

Chris

I checked under the handguard and the barrel appears to be the original with matching serial number to the rest of the rifle.

It has the usual British proofs and markings consistent with UK manufacture. It has been supplied to Australia and has 2MD markings.

I cant work out what was under the XXXXXXX Markings, maybe a different military district?

IMG_0240_zps7e7mdehe.jpg

Is that another D stamp on the left of the receiver (D with a broad arrow in?) or is it a U?

There appears perhaps to be a circled D on the left of the barrel - this would indicate a draw lapped barrel.

Even replacement barrels will have been serialled to match (if done officially) - I was interested in the date (usually low down on left side) in the form '18 (for 1918 etc)

I think what has been XXXed out is the Military District inventory number.

It is relatively uncommon to find a rifle that was not FTR'd either during WWII or subsequently. I have a 1918 BSA that went to Australia in 1918 was refinished for WWII, refinished post WWII (1947) downgraded to a cadet rifle and then downgraded to a DP rifle... it is smothered in stampings and paint!

Chris

Thanks Chris, I will check the left hand side of the receiver for the "D" markings, the barrel isnt great I would be conservative a 7 or 8 out of 10?

The only thing missing is the pilling or stacking swivel on the nose cap, I have a spare one of these handy.

I do have a 42 Lithgow that was FTR in 52 for comparison, the barrel is as new on that one.

Its an unusual find considering the large numbers of SMLE floating about down here!!

Incidentally I also picked up a matching low number Lee Speed with front and rear volley sights at the same time, pictures below.

IMG_0191_zpsnmo7d686.jpg

IMG_0188_zpspumdoelg.jpg

The commercial Lee looks interesting - what format is it in? MLE I*? (or....I don't see a safety on the bolt so is it an SMLE MkI? or....)

Are there any military ownership markings? I know in Aus/NZ quite a lot were taken on strength in the early WWII years.

For both of these rifles I'd love to see an overall view -- something like this

post-14525-0-97493800-1452142400_thumb.j

This is my commercial MLE with NZ ownership markings

Chris

I will endeavor to get some better overall photos of both rifles. They are still with my dealer as I couldnt get my paperwork finalized before Christmas.

IMG_0199_zpszwjxrw2m.jpg

IMG_0201_zps5ofqbzhw.jpg

I think what has been XXXed out is the Military District inventory number.

I agree Chris, there would have been a five-digit Military District number in that position. I think this may have been hatched out when all the rifles had to become licensed.

Interestingly I have an MLE with such a number in that position, and it was mistakenly recorded as the serial number when it became registered.! Not many know stuff ... :thumbsup:

I do have a 42 Lithgow that was FTR in 52 for comparison, the barrel is as new on that one.

Likewise, my 1942 Lithgow was done in 55, and with the replacement barrels they are still excellent shooters. Mine easily handles commercial loads and is a great boar rifle.

Cheers, S>S

Sounds like I am in the right company then?

The Lee Speed (BSA) is in a MLE configuration,but I cant find one similar without the safety, no two stage trigger pull and the cleaning rod is missing.

The rear sling swivel is distorted and needs replacing, lucky I found one before Christmas in New Zealand.

Nice sling 4th Gordons, I managed to locate one also dated 1916 and not a reproduction I hope.

The Lee Speed (BSA) is in a MLE configuration,but I cant find one similar without the safety, no two stage trigger pull and the cleaning rod is missing.

The Magazine Lee Metford MkIIs (app. 1893) did not have a safety on the bolt - what sort of rifling is in the barrel? Is it an 8 or 10 round magazine? It looks like the latter but it is a bit hard to tell from the pic.

I think there is a good online guide to commercial Lees somewhere - I will see if I can find it. They are not something I know a great deal about but my sense is they sold versions of whatever the standard military arm at the time was plus "hunting rifle" format weapons also. It is also conceivable that a safety was an "option" on a commercially purchased rifle I suppose.

Good two examples to find together!

Chris

The rifling is definitely Metford and it has an 8 round magazine, the dust cover is present and it has a single stage trigger.

The owner stated it belonged to his grandfather who had owned it since new, Its not common to see matching numbers Lee Speeds in my neck of the woods.

I need to find some 215 grain round nose and some black powder or a substitute if I am going to shoot this one?

I would like to try a compressed load if possible, data suggests they used 75 grains, case volume differences may prevent this though.

Hi Hesh,

BES Bullets here in the UK does 215 grain round nosed flat based mk VI bullets, as well as flat based mk VII. They are £45 per 100. I have tried both in my original barreled 1897 LE I to good effect - it won't shoot boat tails at all but flat base does the job. Email address for BES Bullets is mseller208@aol.com.

Cheers,

Tony

post-22051-0-00192900-1452291278_thumb.j

post-22051-0-62149400-1452291298_thumb.j

post-22051-0-65815900-1452291308_thumb.j

Thanks Tony I will see if they are prepared to export a small number, I have managed some 174 gr roundnose to try

Nice LSA by the way!!