Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

sapper James Albert Fennings

Paul 24588487

Hi

I was wondering if anyone could help me trace my great grandfather James Albert Fennings RE unit he was born 1894 married to Jessie Ethal Blanche Glenfield on 6th September 1914 in the parish of Westham. They had 5 boys Alfie died as a boy 2 I think, George my Grandad died 1944, James, Herbie and John.

His army number was 243234 and he was in the Royal engineers. He was awarded the British war medal and the Victory medal RE/104 book 13 page 3419

I have two other reference numbers but I don't really know what they are WR/505491 and WO 372/7/41933

He enlisted in Canningtown east London on the 19 December1915

Any help would be helpful

Thanks Paul

Hi,

He was in the Inland Water Transport Section, (possibly working on docks), and went abroad in February 1917.

WR/505491 was his later service number. WO 372/7/41933 is a National Archives reference, presumably for his medal card.

He has surviving service papers on the Findmypast website, and presumably Ancestry also.

His records are on FMP;

First name(s) James Albert Last name Fennings Service number 243234 Regiment Royal Engineers Unit / Battalion Inland Water Transport Event year 1916 Age 21 Birth year 1894 Birth town Poplar Birth county Middlesex Birth country England Residence town - Residence county - Series WO 363 Record set British Army Service Records 1914-1920 Category Military, armed forces & conflict Subcategory First World War Collections from Great Britain

brightsolid online publishing ltd.

Paul

His service record does not show his actual unit which is not unusual for the IWT. He was a stevedore according to his record so the best that can be said is that he was working at one of the docks such as Calais, Boulogne, Dunkirk, Le Havre, Dieppe or the inland port at Rouen.

TR

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Guys for the information I didn't even realise we used stevedores and port operators but it makes sense as he was a docker all his life after the war.

• 5 months later...

Guys

is there anywhere I can more about the work and location of the docks he worked at. he was made up to a skilled mate according to his records and discharge in January 1919 as a pivitol man. ( any ideas what this refers to)

any help would be grateful.

Hello Paul

"Pivotal man" indicates that he had priority for discharge because his skills were needed in civil life. Some of these were men such as foremen, whose early re-employment made it possible to process the demobilisation of other men in the same industry.

Ron

Thanks Ron I wondered what that meant any idea of how I can find out what dock or river he was working on he was made a skilled mate what ever that was.

His trade was a stevedore when he enlisted. I would love to find some photos of him or the working docks he served at.

Cheers Paul

Paul

The Department of Photographs at the Imperial War Museum may have some pictures of working docks, but I think that it is unlikely that you will be able to trace the actual port without more information (perhaps from letters home?) as to his whereabouts. This information is not of the kind to be found at the National Archives.

Ron

Paul

There was an Ordnance Depot at Rouen on the River Seine on the Quay Jean de Bethencourt. I found a plan of the Depot in WO 95/4045. This contains some of the WDs for the Lines of Communication, Rouen Base. I think I noticed some references to stevedores in the files. I was looking to locate No 4 General Base Depot, Royal Engineers, which was in Rouen.

Brian