Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ypres to Arras and back in a day?

neverforget

A quick scan through the posts and I can't see any SatNav advice - not that there is a huge amount. But ...

Download a CWGC POI (points of interest) file from http://www.poigraves.uk/- there are files for the most popular SatNav brands. It is easy to upload the file into a SatNav (I have a Garmin).

I have found these to be remarkably useful in finding cemeteries, I can only think of one case where they didn't deliver me to the gate of the cemetery. Pre-POIs I spent a lot more time driving and less doing what I went there for.

Very good point about going back I went over in 2012 for 5 days. Not long enough. Going back next month for 7 days but my programme is already overfull! So I reckon its save up time for 2018. Prioritise your route and things to see. Then , if you are like me, cut down the number of places to g. I have had to be severe with my cut backs because there are to many sights to see. This year we are concentrating on the underground war mainly. Next time perhaps something else. But overall enjoy, take in the poignancy, take photos because you will not remember everything and go back again because you will not see everything that you wanted to.

A quick scan through the posts and I can't see any SatNav advice - not that there is a huge amount. But ...

Download a CWGC POI (points of interest) file from http://www.poigraves.uk/- there are files for the most popular SatNav brands. It is easy to upload the file into a SatNav (I have a Garmin).

I have found these to be remarkably useful in finding cemeteries, I can only think of one case where they didn't deliver me to the gate of the cemetery. Pre-POIs I spent a lot more time driving and less doing what I went there for.

This may well be a very useful accompaniment to have with me, as coincidentally I have recently acquired my first vehicle with built in sat-nav. I`m not very au-fait with it yet, and I`m not sure if it will be compatible, but I will certainly look into it, and thank you for bringing it to my attention.

Very good point about going back I went over in 2012 for 5 days. Not long enough. Going back next month for 7 days but my programme is already overfull! So I reckon its save up time for 2018. Prioritise your route and things to see. Then , if you are like me, cut down the number of places to g. I have had to be severe with my cut backs because there are to many sights to see. This year we are concentrating on the underground war mainly. Next time perhaps something else. But overall enjoy, take in the poignancy, take photos because you will not remember everything and go back again because you will not see everything that you wanted to.

Thanks for posting, and bon voyage to your good self for next month.

Just in case you hadn`t already come across this; a link for the La Boisselle group: http://www.laboisselleproject.com/

This may well be a very useful accompaniment to have with me, as coincidentally I have recently acquired my first vehicle with built in sat-nav. I`m not very au-fait with it yet, and I`m not sure if it will be compatible, but I will certainly look into it, and thank you for bringing it to my attention.

If nothing else the POI file will give you Lat and Long for each cemetery (the CSV format is readable in any text editor, though a spreadsheet is better) - worst case scenario you at least have the numbers to enter into your car SatNav in order to find your next stop.

Thanks for posting, and bon voyage to your good self for next month.

Just in case you hadn`t already come across this; a link for the La Boisselle group: http://www.laboisselleproject.com/

I have managed to arrange a trip to "The Glory Hole" with John at the "Silent Picket" which should be cracking.

I have managed to arrange a trip to "The Glory Hole" with John at the "Silent Picket" which should be cracking.

That sounds like it might be a "blast".

I was due to go on a proposed dig with John "Kenny" Collins, Daniel Jones, and Terry Perkins, a while back, but I don`t think anything came of it in the end.

As an aside; I shall be visiting White House cemetery, Oxford Road cemetery, and Tyne cot at Ypres, and Faubourg-d'Amiens cemetery and memorial in Arras. If anyone needs a grave/memorial photo etc, from any of these, or any others close by, I will be pleased to oblige. I don`t know why I didn`t think to offer before now.