Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Visiting The Western Front

paullaw1155

Three or four of us are hoping to visit the Western Front early May next year(self drive). I have seen accomadation for Ypres (Varlett Farm)and hope to find accopmadation on the Somme can any one recommend any. We are traveling from North Lancashire (Kirkham,Preston area) to pick up Ferry at Dover or use the Channel Tunnel. We are hoping for a 4 night 5 days visit, is there something about a 120 hour cheap returns on the ferry, Do you come into another price rangeif you go over 120hrs??, I have never sorted a trip out myself so I am rusty on procedure. Any info or recommendatios would be very much appreciated. This will be my third visit. I would never of guessed that after my first visit in 1998 that I would still be Keener than ever to return.

I stayed at the Best Western in Albert on the Somme. The hotel was nice,a nd met my needs... although it is on the edge of town. Albert itself is not all that exciting. Do a search on Albert and I am sure you will find several threads about staying there and what some of the other Pals have suggested. Enjoy your trip! Andy

I always stay at Avril Williams' at Auchonvillers, http://www.avrilwilliams.com/

Comfortable with good meals and plenty of history to the place and I find that the WW1 talk over dinner etc is an important aspect to my stay as well as the company of course! Good library of books and other material.

There are plenty of other threads on this Forum though re. accom.on the Somme.

To be honest I would not stay in a Best Western hotel though. Lack of atmosphere for one thing. Price for another.

Boojk withg SpeedFerries, they don't have any of this three day trip nonsense (which never works as you think it ought). They just charge 38 euros each way. How long you stay is up to you.

I would second the recommendation for speedferries. I've got a trip booked in April for £50 return. I would also recommend Avril Williams' place to stay. It is easy to find and very convenient for most of the Somme area.

Garth

To be honest I would not stay in a Best Western hotel though. Lack of atmosphere for one thing. Price for another.

I would agree with the atmosphere comment, but regarding price I got a fair deal when I stayed. I would stay again, but probably look for other stuff too.

Andy

Thanks for all the information, I have e-mailed Avril's for prices and also looked at Speed Ferries, there prices look to good to be true. Is there a catch ie bad weather,stops sailing,????. or am I being to suspicious??

:) Hi I now always stay at Bernafay Wood, it has a great atmosphere is clean and quiet.

Tony

SpeedFerries do have to stop in bad weather - as do Hoverspeed, but in general they are quite reliable and will be more so after January when they get a second catamaran.

I have travelled a few times and not had trouble at all. However, they do operate like RYANAIR. You get what you pay for. If you need to change a booking, it will cost £10. If the boat doesn't go, you have to wait until it does.

Having said that, for the price they charge in comparison with P&O you can put up with a bit of bother.

Last time I travelled (two weeks ag) I paid Speedferries 76€ and P&O wanted 214€ for the same trip at the same times.