Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Need cavalry help please

Khaki

I was looking at some mounted cavalry GW photos and I noticed that the sword (1908 pattern) is carried on the left of the horse and the sword facing forward with the pommel to the rear. that seemed an awkward way to draw a sword with the right hand?

any thoughts please.

khaki

Toby?

I'll drop him a line to draw his attention.

Hi..

If you imagine sitting on a horse place your left hand on your lap. With your right hand reach round and over your left arm towards your hip keeping the palm of your hand facing your body.

The right hand would then slip around and grip the grip of the sword, you would then raise the right hand pulling the sword from it's scabbard and taking care not to hit your horses head bring the sword back to the right side of your body.

This may seem uncomfortable at first but having the sword facing forward is the only way it can be drawn and held correctly as designed.

Hope this helps

Tim is spot on, it looks odd at first glance but is actually very practical and really, as previously mentioned, the only way it can be done. The 08 and the 12 are actually superbly designed and balanced. I am far from an accomplished horseman (more of a poser) and I found the process easier than you would imagine.

I have not used any of the antecedent swords it would be interesting to see how they compare.

Toby

I am far from an accomplished horseman (more of a poser)

Toby

You might think that. I, of course, couldn't possibly comment.

And thanks to Tim as well.

From the Cavalry Training Manual.

IMAG0757.jpg

You might think that. I, of course, couldn't possibly comment.

And thanks to Tim as well.

I thought you might though!

As Toby says the 08 is a very nice sword to handle and use (only in skill at arms, not had the need to use it for real yet)

... This may seem uncomfortable at first but having the sword facing forward is the only way it can be drawn and held correctly as designed.

Sounds a bit like the Roman way of drawing a gladius from its sheath on the right side of the body - doesn't seem to make sense but this is the only way it can be drawn and used properly!

Not that I'll ever get on a horse and I'm even more unlikely to draw a sword whilst on one but I can't quite grasp what you mean by the "sword facing forward" etc. I've tried to recreate the drawing movement sat on my office chair and using a ruler for the 08 sword but ...........

Steve

King or Kaiser?

If anyone watched War and Peace last night then they will have seen the Russian Cavalry perform this very act whilst charging the French.

Not sure that the sword was quite the same though.

... I've tried to recreate the drawing movement sat on my office chair and using a ruler for the 08 sword but ...........

Makes you wonder whether the cowboys had their holsters in the most ergonomic position. :unsure:

All I can say to that is that IIRC, the most ergonomic position for rulers carried by teachers at my school seemed to be roughly where the holster was worn by cowboys...

I've tried to recreate the drawing movement sat on my office chair and using a ruler for the 08 sword but ...........

Steve

Phew, glad I wasn't alone...I used a bayonet though (pretended I was a lighthorseman).

Not that I'll ever get on a horse and I'm even more unlikely to draw a sword whilst on one but I can't quite grasp what you mean by the "sword facing forward" etc. I've tried to recreate the drawing movement sat on my office chair and using a ruler for the 08 sword but ...........

Steve

To illustrate what I meant was the difference in attitude of a sword worn by an infantry officer with the guard facing forward and on a mounted cavalry trooper the guard facing to the rear.

khaki

I have had no experience with swords, so I yield to the expert opinions in the matter, thank you all for the information, and it cheered me to imagine forum members drawing all sorts of foreign objects in order to qualify their response :thumbsup: I just hope that the other office personnel weren't watching, and overheard " The brigade will advance...... :w00t:

khaki

To illustrate what I meant was the difference in attitude of a sword worn by an infantry officer with the guard facing forward and on a mounted cavalry trooper the guard facing to the rear.

khaki

Perhaps the cavalry method is to cater for drawing a sword at the gallop while the infantry mode is for standing use - and looks better? Didn`t Haig carry his cavalry sword with the guard forward? So even cavalry officers carry the guard forward when not mounted.

I think it likely the sword would have been drawn before entering into a gallop.

If I recall there are several orders of advance, starting with 'at the walk' and so on, I need to watch Trevor Howard as Lord Cardigan again to refresh my memory.

khaki

I bow to the expertise of the cavalry experts but, although the standard techniques might not require drawing at the gallop, I assume there might be times when it became necessary. Not being horsey, my understanding of gallop is a bit loose.

Cavalry Training manual 1912 pages 120-121

6. When "Draw Swords" is ordered at the walk, the men after drawing swords will remain at the carry until ordered to slope; but if "Draw Swords" is ordered at the trot or gallop the men will come to the slope after drawing.

7. Drawing and returning swords should frequently be practised at the trot and gallop. On such occasions when returning swords the scabbard may be steadied by the drawn back heel

Some wonderful film footage on the Cavalry training. Starts at 5 mins and last for 5 mins. basic drill, sword drill dismounted, mounted drill, and at the very end mounted sword at the 'engage' at the gallop at dummy targets.... Pathe film clip.... click

Great video, cheers Martin!

Thanks martin,

Very much enjoyed the footage, as a matter of interest have any of the barracks/ camps locations been identified ?

khaki

Very impressive; I assume it's inter-war. Wonder which cavalry barracks they are?

(Anyone else worried about the thought of an officer taking the classes in foot drill?)